Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
JetDirect PN: 8FP31A
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP JetDirect LAN Accessory

SN: [Personal Information Removed]

PN: 8FP31A

1-Eth, 1-USB TYpe-B (Round)

Comes with Cable USB-A to USB-B (PC Connection-?)

1) Statement: All printers that I am aware of have a standard USB-B Connector on the rear panel and if networkable an Ethernet port.

2) Statement: Need a USB-B to USB-B cable to connect this device to printer which is not supplied

3) Statement: No Power supply included< presume it comes from POE connection or USB Power not specified in simple installation sheet.

Question: Instead of buying a Startech 10/100 to USB Network Print Server I thought I'd buy a real name brand, HP, since they make the best technology.

Here is the setup: Notice USB-A (flat) to Printer??

Step A4-A6:
1. Attach the USB Type-B (rounded) end of the cable to the USB port on the back of the LAN
Accessory, and also attach an Ethernet cable (not provided) to the Ethernet port on the back of the
LAN Accessory.
2. Attach other end of the Ethernet cable to your network.
3. Attach the USB Type-A (flat) end of the cable to the corresponding USB accessory port on the
back of the printer.
Step B1, B2: To attach the LAN accessory to the printer, separate one set of the supplied fastener
strips and remove the adhesive backing from each part. Attach one of the strips to the LAN
accessory and attach the other strip to the desired location on the printer. Repeat for the other set
of fasteners.
Step B3: Attach the LAN accessory to the fastener strips on the printer.
Step B4-B6: See A4-A6 above.
Step A7, B7: Turn ON the power to the printer. Print a Configuration report to confirm correct
installation. An HP Jetdirect LAN Accessory entry will be shown under the Installed Personalities
and Options section of the printer’s Configuration page.
NOTE: See additional setup, configuration, and troubleshooting information at

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Documentation is pretty limited from what I can find, however some HP Enterprise products have a USB A connector on the formatter that these devices plug into such as the E82540. As most of these printers already have networking this seems like an odd man out device unless you need to connect the device to 2 isolated networks. To answer your question, support outside of HP is probably very limited to non-existent for this model.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Documentation is pretty limited from what I can find, however some HP Enterprise products have a USB A connector on the formatter that these devices plug into such as the E82540. As most of these printers already have networking this seems like an odd man out device unless you need to connect the device to 2 isolated networks. To answer your question, support outside of HP is probably very limited to non-existent for this model.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Yes I am figuring out that this device is for HP Exclusive "high" end printers as you suggest.

Sending it back to HP and ordering a startech 10/100 to USB. I have a printer sharing issue with an office tenant.

Tenant 1 using NIC, Tenant 2 using USB...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.