Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

My HP Laserjet Pro MFP M177fw is frozen on HP logo screen after loading latest firmware.

It's accessible via IP and I can print to it. ....but only one or two pages. Then, it requires a restart for another one or two print jobs to complete. 

Looks like many others on this forum have the same problem of a screen frozen on the HP logo with nearly identical symptoms.  Is there a real fix? Can anyone send me a previous version of the firmware? My printer is out of warranty and almost useless to me, as it is.

I've tried reloading the firmware via USB and WiFi several times, via multiple Windows / MacOS machines. Always results in the same situation.

Pressing the red X and right arrow during startup do nothing. Holding down the bottom left corner during startup brings up the "Permanent storage init." message, which never changes after hours. I need an actual fix or a way to roll back the firmware.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

No thanks to HP, I fixed this myself. In case this helps anyone else... 

HP told my printer should be replaced. HP told me that pervious firmware versions could not be loaded into the printer. 

They were wrong on both accounts. 

I had no problem at all loading a firmware from 2015. I just had to find it online. Eventually, I did. The filename is "LJM176_M177_Series_FW_Update-20150228.dmg" for anyone looking. This loaded right into my "broken printer" just fine and it worked perfectly, once again. 

After I got that loaded, I tried loading the current firmware from OSX 10.13, which broke my printer again, just like before. 

I put the 2015 version back on. All is well again. 

I tried loading the current firmware from another machine on OSX 10.15, which broke my printer again, just like before. 

I tried loading the current firmware from Windows 10 64bit, and this time it worked. Now, my printer seems fine with the current firmware. 

HP: You have problems with both your OSX loaders and your product support staff. Both are flawed. Fix them. There are threads 10 pages long here with people having the EXACT same problem. Figure it out.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Can any HP techs or users help? 

HP Recommended

@JasonJonstone, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve this issue by performing the necessary troubleshooting steps. I also see that you have already performed an NVRAM reset on the printer that did not resolve the issue. 

Unfortunately there are no other troubleshooting steps that can be performed.

Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your printer. 

If the printer is out of warranty, I suggest you upgrade the printer. You may visit Hp Store to check the available printers.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Are there any users here who have a copy of an earlier firmware they can email me? 

My printer is out of warranty. HP's solution seems to by "throw it away and buy a new one" but it worked just fine before the firmware upgrade, which I very much regret, now.

HP Recommended

No thanks to HP, I fixed this myself. In case this helps anyone else... 

HP told my printer should be replaced. HP told me that pervious firmware versions could not be loaded into the printer. 

They were wrong on both accounts. 

I had no problem at all loading a firmware from 2015. I just had to find it online. Eventually, I did. The filename is "LJM176_M177_Series_FW_Update-20150228.dmg" for anyone looking. This loaded right into my "broken printer" just fine and it worked perfectly, once again. 

After I got that loaded, I tried loading the current firmware from OSX 10.13, which broke my printer again, just like before. 

I tried loading the current firmware from another machine on OSX 10.15, which broke my printer again, just like before. 

I tried loading the current firmware from Windows 10 64bit, and this time it worked. Now, my printer seems fine with the current firmware. 

HP: You have problems with both your OSX loaders and your product support staff. Both are flawed. Fix them. There are threads 10 pages long here with people having the EXACT same problem. Figure it out.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.