Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 A3 All-in-One Printer

Hi Forum,

I hope someone can help me. I’ve just bought the HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 A3 All-in-One Printer, and after set up I have realised that tray 2 , which I have loaded with A3 paper is not printing in colour .Tray 1, loaded with A4 is working fine .

I’ve set the print settings to print off in colour , grayscale printing unticked etc.I wasn’t sure if I had to configure tray 2 somehow ?. Any help would be amazing as I’m pulling my hair out . Very frustrating as I print a lot of colour A4’s and A3’s , and don’t want to keep swapping paper in tray 1. With tray 2 being redundant unless I want b&w.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @JosephG185,

I'd like to help!

Try updating the printer's firmware - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

Let's try and uninstall the printer software from the root level on your PC and install the full feature printer software.

--->In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.

--->Select your HP printer.

--->Select Uninstall.

--->In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.

--->In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”

--->Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.

--->Type printui.exe /s and click OK.

--->Click on the Drivers tab.

--->Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click remove at the bottom.

--->Select OK.

--->Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.

--->Close Devices and Printers.

And then reinstall the printer full-featured drivers from the software and drivers page 

If the issue persists, Try installing HP Smart App and then printing 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi @JosephG185,

I'd like to help!

Try updating the printer's firmware - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

Let's try and uninstall the printer software from the root level on your PC and install the full feature printer software.

--->In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.

--->Select your HP printer.

--->Select Uninstall.

--->In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.

--->In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”

--->Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.

--->Type printui.exe /s and click OK.

--->Click on the Drivers tab.

--->Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click remove at the bottom.

--->Select OK.

--->Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.

--->Close Devices and Printers.

And then reinstall the printer full-featured drivers from the software and drivers page 

If the issue persists, Try installing HP Smart App and then printing 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help instructions.  My problem arose from setting up a new computer.  I would think that Windows found the printer and did the installation which was obviously not correct. in what it did.  I uninstalled the printer, but then did not find it when using the run instructions, so that part apparently uninstalled correctly.  Then I uninstalled HP Smart and then went to the HP website to start from scratch by looking up the initial setup instructions for a new printer.  That happened pretty quickly and when I tested colour printing on A3 it worked perfectly!!  Thanks again.  John

HP Recommended

That's great! Happy to hear that.

If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us.

Have a great day ahead!

Please click “Accepted Solution” on my public post if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

I had the same problem. It is fixed now, thanks for your clear guidance. Cheers.

HP Recommended

That's great! Happy to hear that.

If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us.

Have a great day ahead!

Please click “Accepted Solution” on my public post if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

Hi - i have exactly the same problem as Joseph G 185 below

i.e A3 from Tray 2 does not print colour even though 'colour' is selected  (A4 tray 1 is fine)  - pls advise ?

Thanks 

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem with a brand new HP 7740 and have not managed to resolve this. After 3 hours on HP support (case reference [personal info removed]), I was recommended to swap the printer.  New printer arrived today and exactly the same problem. Drivers and printer were uninstalled as per instructions. HP Smart uninstalled and then reinstalled.  Problem persists.

I can not under any circumstance mange to print in colour on A3 paper.  

Note that when I went to reinstall the printer full-featured drivers from the https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-officejet-pro-7740-wide-format-all-in-one-printe... as suggested, the default is to install HP Smart and there was no options available to install drivers in isolation.  If you could please assist.

HP Recommended

Hi - i have resolved the problem. i can now print A3.

Its all to do with the HP printer driver.

Disable and remove all existing printer drivers, applications, HP account log ins and start afresh.

Then you need to re-create a new HP account and re-install the latest version of the printer driver - the latest printer driver link was in a previous thread a coupe of weeks back which i do not have access to now (not quite sure why i cant see previous comments) but you may want to go back and check the comments and look for it - failing that, go to HP website and download latest version 

HP Recommended

Hi again - just found it - here it is, i cut and paste below the relevant lines of text / links from above

If the issue persists, Try installing HP Smart App and then printing 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.