Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 6970
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Officejet Pro 6970 wired directly to an up to date Windows 10 machine. I have it configured to download all faxes to my machine. About 2 weeks ago I started getting a popup message every once in a while telling me “No digital faxes available. Alert: Check your printer for alert conditions.”. I can’t find how to turn this popup off.

Any ideas on how I can stop this message? Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@jagrantz,

Thank you for becoming an HP Forum member. It is a great platform to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others!

I understand that you are having issues with the fax after the recent Windows 10 update. To help you with this issue, I need to know the following details:

1) Can you send and receive fax directly using the printer? 

2) How is the printer connected to the PC? Is it over a network or using a USB cable?

3) Can you print and scan from your PC without any issues?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Perform a Hard reset on the printer and make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

If the issue persists, also try clean installing the printer drivers. Here are the steps:

First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.

Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Officejet printer entries and uninstall them.

Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.

Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.

Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.

Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

Restart your computer.

Now click on this link: https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/OJ6970/OJ6970_Full_WebPack_40.12.1161.exe to download and install the printer software.

Connect the USB cable only when prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@jagrantz,

Thank you for becoming an HP Forum member. It is a great platform to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others!

I understand that you are having issues with the fax after the recent Windows 10 update. To help you with this issue, I need to know the following details:

1) Can you send and receive fax directly using the printer? 

2) How is the printer connected to the PC? Is it over a network or using a USB cable?

3) Can you print and scan from your PC without any issues?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Perform a Hard reset on the printer and make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

If the issue persists, also try clean installing the printer drivers. Here are the steps:

First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.

Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Officejet printer entries and uninstall them.

Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.

Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.

Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.

Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

Restart your computer.

Now click on this link: https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/OJ6970/OJ6970_Full_WebPack_40.12.1161.exe to download and install the printer software.

Connect the USB cable only when prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

The HP Digital Fax Software show a prompt in a configure timeframe if there are either incoming faxes or not.

You may open the HP Officejet Pro 6970 software and click on Digital Fax Setup Wizard.

Click the Modify Button and select a larger timeframe to show alerts (5 to 60 minutes) or disable the alerts.

Once you are done press Save and Test.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

just doing the reset (following your instructions) seems to have cleared up my problem.

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

@jagrantz,

Thank you for the update,
I appreciate your time and efforts, 

I'm glad to hear you found the solution you were looking for.
Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution.

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.
I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.