Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart C4780
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I bought my HP Photosmart (C4700 Series) C4780 back in 2011 and when I turn it on, it still works on it's own with the new ink cartridge I bought and will print a diagnosis page, so I know it functions.

But when I try to set it up with my Macbook Air MacOS Catalina 10.15, it doesn't connect with the USB or wireless connection. No laptop I use can find this printer and I really need help because I don't want to buy another one when I know this one works fine and I just spent money on a new cartridge. 

It originally came with a set up disk, but of course new laptops don't use this, so I tried to download the Driver Product Installation Software for it and it downloads and says it's installed successfully but nothing happens. My printer still won't find my computer no matter what I try.  I follow the Diagnostic instructions and the power cord and USB cord are both in good condition, not broken, so I'm not sure what I can do.

After reading some forum posts, I can say my printer's setup button on the touchscreen 'WPS' will not highlight and will not let me select the 'Wifi Protected Setup' button. When I select the WPS PIN it just searches and searches with no result, and the WPS Push Button just says "Trying to connect" forever until it times out and tells me to try again later. Also my internet is Starry Internet and doesn't have a WPS port or anything, it has a WAN port instead but it says my SSID is the same at my wifi name.  Also, when I run and print the Network Configuration page, it shows both of my SSIDs WPS as "NO" and when I print the Wireless Network Test Report the IP Address comes up as "Not applicable" and the SSID is different than my Wifi SSID. When I downloaded HP Easy Start and select the airport, no HP Setup Network pops up. Literally every step I need to connect will not work or show up at all.

I just really confused and need help to get this to work. I wish they had a call center to speak to a real person but they always make these things so difficult especially with an old printer like mine who's warranty is expired.

Please help, and thank you!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.