Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Smart
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I get the message "printer status unknown" from HP Smart app but my printer is printing fine from the web and stand-alone software; I can also check/access everything through the app. I've updated drivers, reinstalled my printer ran scan doctor and I've faithfully followed all the help files round and round. The problem persists. My older Windows 10 laptop runs the HP ....

and  displays status, prints, scans, converts to PDF faultlessly I thefore tried loading the software on this laptop but, within the final furlong it comes up with 'software error' and automatically uninstaals again. It shouldn't be this difficult and, let's face it, the software is not Smart at all!

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@Enders

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Which Printer do you have?

Thanks 🙂

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My Printer is an HP !! Photosmart C4780; my Laptop is a Lenovo IdeaPad S340 running Windows 10. and I've tried just about everything except Buying new hardware!

HP Recommended

PS The missing info on the first post was HPSolution Centre and my Router is a new Sky Q Router.

HP Recommended

@Enders

Perform root level uninstallation to remove all the printer related software's.

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Remove all instances of the same.
  • Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers. 
  • Restart the PC again.

Download and install printer full feature

Click here to download the driver.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Nope; that didn't work either so I did it again being especially careful to follow the instructions. There were a couple of minor issues: In Programs and Features, my printer was not listed and, in the command window, It would not allow deletion of the driver because it was 'in-use' I rebooted and the driver was successfully removed however, the Apply and OK buttons were dimmed out, so I couldn't do that.

The Full Feature Printer Installer 'PS_AIO_06_C_4700_140_408-5 was downloaded and executed but at the last hurdle it reported a Fatal Error and I followed the instructions to forward the error log to HP. The software then continued to uninstall.

I can print OK but when I try to run the solution centre, it fails because the software installation has not completed. More going round in circles? Like I said before; it shouldn't be this difficult. As retired ex IT techy, I understood this process but your average  none-techy would have found it daunting at the very least.

HP Recommended

@Enders

This model printer is not compatible with the HP Smart app.

Try creating a new user account on the computer and then install the full-featured driver.

Click here to download the HP Full-featured driver.

Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.

Let me know how it goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Done that: same result!

"This model printer (HP Photosmart C4780) is not compatible with HP Smart app"  Wow; that's a good one !!!!; it will certainly influence me should I be in the market for more hardware.

So to summarise, I have a fairly modern HP printer/scanner/copier which doesn't work with the new HP software, and the old  HP software will not run on a new Laptop with the new version of Windows. Charming.........!

HP Recommended

You can still use the Printer from the laptop without using the HP Smart App.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I've received several inane private messages/suggestions from Betty0610 which I've replied to. The messages focus on getting my printer to print. This is not helpful because I have no problem printing. I need to be able to use my scanner and copy pdf's to my laptop. As we stand, I believe that the new HP Smart app is not compatible with my printer; and the old printer 'full featured software (which I like) will not run on the new version of Windows.......Catch 22.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.