Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have the same issue.  Has there been any resolve to this issue?

HP Recommended

@bill721dd

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

To help you further with this, let us know the Printer name and if you're using a Laptop or phone for this. If it's a Laptop, let us know the Operating System. If it's a phone, let us know if it's on Android or iOS.

Thanks 🙂

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I just bought and set up 2 printers of the same model and agree that it is extremely frustrating that I cannot rename my printers in the HP Smart App.  When you have multiple people in your family using multiple printers, the serial number is not a useful differentiator.

HP Recommended

@polwal

I have gone through your post and I understand your concerns

Unfortunately HP Smart app does not give the option to change your printer names and the only way to identify them is through the Serial Numbers

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same issue.  I just bout a second HP Envy Photo 7855.  It's not easy to tell them apart in the app.

HP Recommended

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I HAVE THE SOLUTION

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I figured it out on my own, and created an account on this forum just to help others. I felt pretty lazy so this was a big step.

Before I begin, a big thumbs down to HP staff for not solving this for people. Shame on you guys leaving customers hanging.

I too have a couple HP printers and believed that changing their name should be done through the HP SMART app... well it turns out that isn't the case. You need to rename them in Windows (I'm on windows 10) and then HP SMART will recognize their new names.

STEPS:

1. Type in "Printer" into your Windows Search Bar, and when it suggests the page "Printers and Scanners", click on that. You should now be at a Windows setting page that shows a list of all printers/scanners that your PC is connected to, as well as the option to add a new printer. See image below:

HP image 1.JPG

2. Find your printer (assuming you've already paired it with your computer) and click on it to highlight it, then click "Manage". See below:

HP image 2.JPG

3. After you clicked "Manage" in the previous step, a new window should pop up dedicated to that printer. On the left side click on the option called "Printer Properties" (See image below). It will pop up a new smaller window. THIS IS WHERE YOU CHANGE THE PRINTER NAME. In the image below you can see the red star. That is where you change it to your preferred name. Once you have done so click OK to save the settings. Then you can close out of the windows.

ONE LAST NOTE: you will need to close out of HP SMART and any other programs like Microsoft Office in order for it to refresh and recognize the new name. If you don't, it will likely not find it. Just close out and re-open and you should be good!

HP image 3.JPG

Cheers everyone!

Boo HP!

HP Recommended

I just posted the solution step by step (took me 10 mins) and [edit]

HP Recommended

Here is the solution, which I already posted once [edit]

Anyways the whole thing is that HP "SMART" doesn't allow you to name the printers because it just goes off whatever they are named as in your computer. I have Windows 10, and I can search for Printers&Scanners in the window search bar. Once there, find the printer, select it and make your way to the detailed settings where you will find the place to change the printer name.

SPECIAL NOTE: You need to close out of applications including HP "SMART" so that they will recognize the new name. This also includes other applications like MS Office. See images below for guidance. Cheers.

HP image 1.JPGHP image 2.JPGHP image 3.JPG

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.