Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Professional CM1410 Series PCL 6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I retired my HP LaserJet Professional CM1410 Series PCL 6 at least a year ago and removed it from my PCs.

Recently, I have been getting the following message on my computers: " HP driver update for HP LaserJet Professional CM1410 Series PCL 6 can't be installed".

Where to I find and how do I remove the software that keeps trying to update drivers for a printer that went to the recycler long ago?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Nothing that was being suggested worked and Microsoft said I would have to do a complete Windows reset.  Not a chance.

I queried "Can I use Regedit to remove a printer from the registry and got the following instructions:

How to Remove a Printer Driver From the Registry

1. Click "Start," type "regedit" into the search box and then select "regedit.exe" from the results or press "Enter."
  2. Navigate through the folders, or keys, as follows: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SYSTEM | CurrentControlSet | Control | Print | Environments | Windows NT x86 | Drivers | Version-3."
  3. Right-click the printer from the left pane. Select "Delete" from the context menu and then click "Yes," when prompted.
  4. Return to the "Print" key and then expand "Printers." Right-click the printer from the left pane.
  5. Click "Delete" and then "Yes." Click "Start," type "services.msc" into the search field and then press "Enter."
  6. Double-click "Print Spooler." Click "Stop" and then "Start" to restart the service.

Tips

• If you are running a 64-bit version of Windows, open "Windows x64" instead of "Windows NT x86" when in Registry Editor.
  • If deleting a network printer, instead navigate through "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SYSTEM | CurrentControlSet | Control | Print |Providers | LanMan Print Services | Servers | Printers" and "HKEY_CURRENT_USER | Printers | Connections" and then delete the appropriate printer following the same instructions as above.

Warning

• Making changes to the Registry affects your operating system. Back up the Registry before making changes to it and make sure you know how to restore it in the event that you need to return it to its previous state.

This worked perfectly without any problems and cleared the issue from all of my PCs.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Open Control Panel >> Programs and Features, under that check if you find any HP Drivers listed. If Yes, then remove it from there.

Basically, if you remove the driver or delete it from Printers & Scanner OR Device & Printer, it will not be removed from Installed Drivers/softwares.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

HP Recommended

There is nothing in the Control Panel Programs and Features for HP.  In fact, I have scanned the entire system disk for CM1410 and nothing comes up.  When this printer was on my system, it was setup for auto updates... now I just need to know how to turn them off.

HP Recommended

Hi

Please also right click the Start button and select Device Manager.

Expend the Printers, Print Queues and Other Devices category and look for any "Unknown Device" instance, right click and remove any such instance.

Now check fo rupdates and the update should no longer be listed.

Hope that helps,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

No, there are no unknown devices in any of those groups, so the problem still exists.  every time I use the PCs they have this same update waiting that can't be installed.

HP Recommended

Nothing that was being suggested worked and Microsoft said I would have to do a complete Windows reset.  Not a chance.

I queried "Can I use Regedit to remove a printer from the registry and got the following instructions:

How to Remove a Printer Driver From the Registry

1. Click "Start," type "regedit" into the search box and then select "regedit.exe" from the results or press "Enter."
  2. Navigate through the folders, or keys, as follows: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SYSTEM | CurrentControlSet | Control | Print | Environments | Windows NT x86 | Drivers | Version-3."
  3. Right-click the printer from the left pane. Select "Delete" from the context menu and then click "Yes," when prompted.
  4. Return to the "Print" key and then expand "Printers." Right-click the printer from the left pane.
  5. Click "Delete" and then "Yes." Click "Start," type "services.msc" into the search field and then press "Enter."
  6. Double-click "Print Spooler." Click "Stop" and then "Start" to restart the service.

Tips

• If you are running a 64-bit version of Windows, open "Windows x64" instead of "Windows NT x86" when in Registry Editor.
  • If deleting a network printer, instead navigate through "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SYSTEM | CurrentControlSet | Control | Print |Providers | LanMan Print Services | Servers | Printers" and "HKEY_CURRENT_USER | Printers | Connections" and then delete the appropriate printer following the same instructions as above.

Warning

• Making changes to the Registry affects your operating system. Back up the Registry before making changes to it and make sure you know how to restore it in the event that you need to return it to its previous state.

This worked perfectly without any problems and cleared the issue from all of my PCs.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.