Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Getting error message that Photo Tray is blocked but it is not.  Tried everything I've read online.  Nothing helps.  

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@mommang

Good Day. A warm welcome to the HP community.

I reviewed the case regarding issues with the printer.

I will be delighted to assist you here. 

Follow this link and perform the steps in the given order.

Keep me posted. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have done all of the steps I've seen here.  Turned machine on side, nothing is blocked.  Turned machine off, pulled out plug.  Photo gray is blocked error message comes on again after machines sounds like it is making clicking noises.

HP Recommended

@mommang

Thanks for the response.

It look's like an issue with the printer itself.

I've sent you a private message with the required details.

Good luck. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have tried all the steps suggested by HP to clear the error message. I have verified that there are no pieces of paper stuck in the tray and feeder mechanism, and verified that the paper a nd output tray are properly seated. Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

@AbeRam3,

Thank you for reaching out to the HP Support community!

Let's try these steps:

Step 1: Power Reset

• Make sure this printer is plugged into a direct wall, not a surge protector.
  • Turn the printer on.
  • Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.
  • Remove all the papers.
  • With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  • Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet. Wait at least 60 seconds
  • Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  • Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  • Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  • Re-load the papers.
  • Check if the error goes off.
  • Try making a copy and check if it works.
  • If the issue persists, proceed to the next step.

Step 2: Check if the photo tray is seated correctly

• Refer to this document to check the photo tray
  • If the issue persists, proceed to the next step

Step 3: As a last resort, we can try performing a full factory reset on the printer

Factory reset settings of a printer differ from one printer model to another.

I will send you a private message that would have the steps to reset your printer to the factory settings.

Note:

• Resetting the printer to the factory settings would erase all configurations like your Wireless settings, Fax settings, and other preferences.
    • You have to re-do the set up again once you perform the factory reset.
  • If your printer is enrolled in Instant ink, the cartridges may not work after the reset. Please do not perform reset if the printer is enrolled on Instant Ink.

Let me know if this information helps. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “KudosThumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping.

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your suggestions. I tried all the steps you suggested including the semi-factory resets. The problem still persists after all these steps were taken. Any additional suggestions?

Thank you for your help.

HP Recommended

I forgot to mention in my previous post that we purchased this printer from Amazon on April 19, 2019...so it is almost brand new. I hope that HP can replace this printer with one that works fo a much longer period of time.

HP Recommended

@AbeRam3,

I think we have exhausted all possible troubleshooting steps for this issue.

This could be a possible issue with the printer hardware.

Since your printer is under warranty, I would request you to contact our HP Support Team for Service/Replacement options.

Click on this Link to contact HP.

Cheers!

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.