Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP officejet 8600 pro
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hey folks, first post. I use the PLC forums all the time, and if you're half as good as they are, then I'm home free.

My GF has a Toshiba laptop running Windows 7 64 bit. Just a few weeks ago her cable/ISP sent her an eero router with a plug-in booster because she had complained about her Ring system not working well and slow internet speed. We got all this set up, and I'll say that eero didn't play nice with the amazon smart plugs. I did get them going again, but it was a real PITA.  I have a lot of experience on wifi and coms set-up, but this is weird. 

Her printer mentioned above will not print from her laptop. I've tried driver updates, and making sure it's the only printer and the default printer. Using the wifi setup wizard on the printer will let me choose the network, enter the password (the password we assigned to be able to join the network) and then spends a few minutes displaying a blue circle and "trying to connect". Then it says it cannot connect, gives me options to retry, etc. I've rebooted everything, synched the devices when powering up, no luck. Many of the forums including this one address the issue of the printer being connected but then dropping off the wifi. I can never get it to connect in the first place. Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks and stay safe.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @PLCengineer

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I understand you are not able to connect the printer to the wireless network. I'd be happy to assist you.

As the printer was working fine with the previous router, this seems like an issue with the new router you are using.

• Check if MAC address filtering is enabled on the router. If yes, you will have to add the printer into the 'allow' list.
  • Also, try connecting the printer directly to the router rather than connecting to boosters/extenders.
  • Make sure the printer and the MAC are connected to the same wireless network.
  • This printer supports only 2.4GHz network. So, the PC should be on the 2.4GHz network.
  • If you have a Dual-band router and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks share the same name/SSID, the printer will not be able to connect to the network. In this case, contact your Internet service provider to assign different names to both the networks.

On the printer, go to Setup > Network > Restore network settings

Now run the wireless setup wizard and enter the password.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @PLCengineer

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I understand you are not able to connect the printer to the wireless network. I'd be happy to assist you.

As the printer was working fine with the previous router, this seems like an issue with the new router you are using.

• Check if MAC address filtering is enabled on the router. If yes, you will have to add the printer into the 'allow' list.
  • Also, try connecting the printer directly to the router rather than connecting to boosters/extenders.
  • Make sure the printer and the MAC are connected to the same wireless network.
  • This printer supports only 2.4GHz network. So, the PC should be on the 2.4GHz network.
  • If you have a Dual-band router and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks share the same name/SSID, the printer will not be able to connect to the network. In this case, contact your Internet service provider to assign different names to both the networks.

On the printer, go to Setup > Network > Restore network settings

Now run the wireless setup wizard and enter the password.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.