Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

The HP8720 Blocks the use of Generic / non-HP 592XL cartridges. Software/Firmware blocks good cartridges and printing.  I had an HP7410  Printer that did the same thing.  I thought the printer was bad and replaced it with the 8720 just to read that HP Software/Firmware actually blocks good generic cartridges.  Is there software the removes all blocks and prevents the printer from collecting unauthorized and unapproved data from me every time I use it?

HP needs to understand that my home, my equipment is at that point private property and they are NOT authorized by any means to gather information, monitor, or spy on my life!   This MUST BE THE DEFAULT setting if HP is to sell any more of their products in the US [edit]

techace007
2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@TechAce007

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 

For the next course of action, I have sent you a private message, for more details that cannot be shared in a public post.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My HP8720 OfficeJet Pro stops printing/copying after 1/4 - 1/2 page even with NEW HP 952XL cartridges.  I tried Generic Cardridges and HP blocked them.  I have all security settings set to block ALL information going out to HP, but Yet I feel  that they still violate my Constitutional and Privacy Rights.  Is there software available to allow the use of generic ink cartridges and to prevent ALL data from being collected and sent to HP? What are the links? 

techace007
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.