Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Does anyone know how to get the driver for an old HP Printer (HP Photosmart C6300) " not supported"  by HP anymore.  The printer works great and I need to install it on my new laptop (the old one died last week).  I don't see why I should by a new printer when this one still works great.  That's robbery/blackmail by HP!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@DanieleAnne,

Welcome to our HP User Forum!

If this was my legacy HP printer project, this is what I would try first:

Connect your HP Photosmart C6300 to your PC, then go to: Microsoft Update Catalog, and download (button to far right) the first driver option ("Windows 10 and later drivers, Windows 10 Creators Update and Later Servicing Drivers") as seen here:

NonSequitur777_1-1678309464020.png

Once downloaded, follow the instructions as found in this link and skip the first section named "Install CAB file using DISM command": How to install CAB file for updates and drivers on Windows 10 - Pureinfotech, and go to "Extract CAB file on Windows 10", (when you right-click on the CAB files, you may have to click "OK" to acknowledge) and then: "Install CAB file for driver update".

This should work -assuming your PC runs on Windows 10. If this download doesn't work, delete the original CAB download files, and try out the other driver CAB download option as outlined in blue in my picture.

Hope this was helpful.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question.  I will definitely try your suggestion.  I will let you know the result. 

HP Recommended

@DanieleAnne,

You are welcome!

Please do follow up if you don't mind.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

To NonSequitur777, Thank you, you are a genius.  I got as far as plugging in the printer to my laptop (with a wire) and downloading that first file (Windows 10 Creators Update...) and that was enough for my printer to start working.  As for the rest, I could not find the CAB files to install but I will try again later.  The important thing is that I was able to print some urgent items.  Thank you so much, you made my day!  Take care.  Daniele

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.