Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Color Laserjet Enterprise M855
Microsoft Windows Server 2016

Hi all;

I have a problem with an HP Color Laserjet Enterprise M855. When accesing the network printer by typing the IP address into Internet Explorer I get the following error message:

'There is a problem with this website's security certificate. The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a different website's address.'

I can choose 'continue to this website' and everything works fine. I've worked with a HP M751 reasintly and was able to get rid of this error by creating a new self-signed security certificate that had the IP address added to the sertificate. For the HP M751 there is a field under Security->Manage Certificates->Subject Alternative Name where I entered the IP adress and the problem was solved.

I can't find a way to generate a new security certificate (with the option to add a Subject Alternative Name) for the HP M855.

Please help in this regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here is how I fixed the problem: I used a software called XCA Certificate to generate a self-signed certificate. I used the IP address as the web address, the certificate file format was PKCS#12 and the file extension was .pfx and not .p12 (you can change the extension after you have created the file). Here is how to load the certificate onto the printer. On the web interface navigate to:

Networking => Authorisation => Certificates => Configure Jetdirect Certificate.

Choose import certificate and private key. Upload the certificate.

After this you'll have to install the certificate under trusted root certification Authorities on Internet Explorer.

Hope this helps someone. This is not the easiest or most correct solution, but it works.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Which firmware are you running on the 855? The 751 would have FutureSmart 4 and the 855 originally shipped with FutureSmart 3. If you upgrade the 855 to FS4 then the configuration options should be identical. Download FS4 from support.HP.com and upgrade the printer.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. 

The M855 had HP FutureSmart 3. I upgraded the firmware to HP FutureSmart 4. This changed the the appearance of the web service on Internet Explorer and changed some of the functionality and settings. The web interface is now very similar to the M751, but I still don't have the option to  create a new self signed certificate.

The current firmware version on the two printers are as follow:

M751:     4.9.0.2

M855:     4.10.0.1

For the M885 there is no field on the web interface for creating a new self-signed certificate. The rest of the certificate management page are almost identical between the M751 and M855 after the firmware update.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

HP Recommended

Here is how I fixed the problem: I used a software called XCA Certificate to generate a self-signed certificate. I used the IP address as the web address, the certificate file format was PKCS#12 and the file extension was .pfx and not .p12 (you can change the extension after you have created the file). Here is how to load the certificate onto the printer. On the web interface navigate to:

Networking => Authorisation => Certificates => Configure Jetdirect Certificate.

Choose import certificate and private key. Upload the certificate.

After this you'll have to install the certificate under trusted root certification Authorities on Internet Explorer.

Hope this helps someone. This is not the easiest or most correct solution, but it works.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.