cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
Old_Keith
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

Hplip - unable to install, get Permission Denied

HP Recommended
Ubuntu 18.04
Ubuntu LTS

I am a long, long time HP Inkjet user and currently have an HP Envy Photo 6230 AIO. Last year I migrated from Windows to Linux. All went smoothly and I continued to print & scan as before. However, just recently something must have upgraded as I now get banding when printing photos and, worse still, I can no longer scan. Simple Scan tells me that I don't have a scanner attached.

So I cursed and went to the HP site to download an updated driver. I then followed the link to the "website that is outside HP Customer Support" and downloaded Hplip (because it isn't available in the Ubuntu Software repository).

However, when I try to run sh hplip-3.21.2.run as either me or as root I get this:

Creating directory hplip-3.21.2
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing HPLIP 3.21.2 Self Extracting Archive..............................................................................................................

.............................................................................................
hplip-3.21.2.run: 1: eval: ./hplip-install: Permission denied

If I cd to the newly created directory and run - $ ./hplip-install

I get:

-bash: ./hplip-install: Permission denied

Basically - HELP!!! What am I doing wrong?

FYI $python -V returns Python 3.6.9

I'm lost.

No signature
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation