Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OFFICEJET 6954
macOS 10.12 Sierra

MY PRINTER WOULD NOT TURN OFF.  I UNPLUGGED IT WHICH WAS TOLD AFTER THE FACT BY THE PRINTER MAY HAVE BEEN A FATAL ERROR.  I WAS ABLE TO CHANGE THE WIFI INFO TO RE-CONNECT AND IT VERIFIED THAT IT DID, BUT WOULD NOT TURN OFF AGAIN.  IT INSTRUCTED ME TO CONTACT HP IF TURNING THE PRINTER OFF THEN ON AGAIN DID NOT SOVLE MY PROBLEM.  I GOOGLED HP'S NUMBER AND I WAS GIVEN [removed].  AFTER GOING THROUGH THE EXPLANATION OF THE PROBLEM I DISCOVERED THEY ARE A THIRD PARTY REPRESENTATIVE OF HP; THEIR NAME IS ADV SOFT LLC.  AFTER TAKEN CHARGE OF MY COMPUTER THEY TELL ME I HAVE MULTIPLY IP ADDRESSES WHICH NEEDS TO BE CORRECTED.  THEY SAY I SHOULD ONLY HAVE ONE.  THEY CORRECTED MY PROBLEM, BUT THE PRINTER STILL DIDN'T WORK.  THEY NOW SAY IT IS NOT A SOFTWARE PROBLEM, BUT A HARDWARD PROBLEM.  TODAY I BOUGHT A NEW HP PRINTER, DESK JET PLUS 4152.  BOTTOM LINE THEY CHARGED ME $250 TO CORRECT THE PROBLEM AND I BOUGHT $100 EXTRA ONE YEAR WARRANTY.  IS THIS COMPANY AUTHORIZED BY HP???

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@JOE71111 

====================================================================

Welcome to the HP Community.

Be Aware:

Do not respond to individuals who post phone numbers or email addresses.

Do not respond to individuals who ask you to provide private information in a public Post.

These people might be scammers trying to steal your information / money.

====================================================================

HP does not post support numbers on the Internet.

Sounds like a rat.

From HP:  HP Fraud Alert: Protect Yourself from Scams, Report Suspicious Calls

Document includes links to USA and Canadian authorities to report the incident.

Excerpted

Recently, HP has seen an increased number of third-party support websites selling HP driver downloads or diagnostic tools. Many of these websites use the HP trademark symbol and claim to be official HP distributors.

If your product supports your operating system, HP offers your driver and software at no additional cost through the HP website.

Use caution when dealing with any website that asks you to pay for HP driver downloads or tools that claim to diagnose your HP products. These websites might not be affiliated with HP in any way.

Do not install BIOS updates from a motherboard manufacturer's website. Only install BIOS updates from HP. Installing BIOS updates from the motherboard manufacturer can prevent the computer from accepting an HP system recovery. This could result in a loss of data.

===================================================================

Request for Review

• I have submitted a request that our Community moderators review your question / concern.

Worth Noting

• Our Community is not an HP business group.
  • We are not HP Technical Support, nor are we HP Sales, Service, or Warranty.
  • Our request for assistance on your behalf does not influence the outcome:  Our request is not a magic back door into HP Support.
  • The time frame (how long it takes) for a response is not controlled by the Community.
  • If / When there is a response, a Community moderator / agent will (should) post back on this thread before using other methods to contact you. 

Important

• Do not contact random numbers posted in a public or private message by “new members”.  Vermin are looking for victims – don’t be next.
  • Please do not post any personal or case information here - we cannot make use of the data. 
  • Posting personal information at a public site increases your risk from rats and scammers.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

@JOE71111, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

ADV SOFT LLC is not part of HP. Please be aware of scammers online as the expert has stated in the previous post. If you are not able to power off the printer using the power button, then it is a hardware issue with the printer. The power button could be damaged.

Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region regarding the service/replacement options for your printer. 

You may create a case on the website to obtain a case number if required. Kindly watch this video to know how.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.