Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I thought that once we are in this thread - https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Software-and-Drivers/Keep-getting-quot-filter-failed-quot-when...

which has 

HP CP1025 Color
MacOS 10.14 Mojave on the top of the thread 
we're speaking about problems with printing on HP CP1025 Color (HP CP1025nw to be specific) on MacOS 10.14 Mojave (10.14.3 to be specific).
Anyway your steps don't resolve the issue, that's why I'd written previously that I have the same problem.

However I can give you more details if this could help and guys from previous responses could test it as well.

I can airprint (and usb print) some documents - specifically image files like *.png and I can print some pdf files that were downloaded from internet, however I can't print my own pdf files - the ones I've created from picture files and I can't print any Microsoft docs. 
So right now I'm taking pdf file and convert it to series of png files which I can print eventually. 

I fully believe that the only way for you to see this problem  is to get OS 10.14.3, create a pdf (not use created before somewhere) and try to print it.

Such behaviour imho indicates that there's smth wrong with printers driver. 

BTW Diagnostic page prints fine.

HP Recommended

@Pavel20

Let us run a software update on your Mac PC. 

If you already upgraded to macOS Mojave, follow these steps to keep it up to date: 

1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple () menu, then click Software Update to check for updates.
  2. If any updates are available, click the Update Now button to install them. Or click ”More info” to see details about each update and select specific updates to install.
    Software Update preferences
  3. When Software Update says that your Mac is up to date, macOS and all of its apps are also up to date. That includes SafariiTunes, Books, Messages, Mail, Calendar, Photos, and FaceTime.

To automatically install macOS updates in the future, including apps downloaded from the App Store, select ”Automatically keep my Mac up to date.” Your Mac will notify you when updates require it to restart, so you can always choose to install those later.

Also, try updating the applications from which you're trying to print.

If you are using MS Word- go to Help tab > Check for updates.

Once the applications and the system are updated, try printing.

Keep me posted.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @pavel20! I tried all of the recommendations they made here. As I noted in my previous post, when I attempted to use HP's Driver Remove (whatever it's called) software, the app would not let me remove my driver. The option was grayed out.

So we got the printer all set up on my husband's computer. Finally got it printing from the comptuer it was set up on, but any other computer, even though it could see the shared printer, could not print to it. They all would give the same "filter failed" error.

After a lot of digging through other forums, we finally got everything sorted out. For whatever idiotic reason, if the printer driver gets installed on your system more than one time (even though you only recall installing it once) it creates this weird error. I had to manually dig through the Hard Drive Library folder (not your user Library) find the Application Support folder, look for anything labeled "HP" and delete it all.

Because we didn't want to have to rearrange our office yet again and reconfigure everything yet again, we left the HP Printer connected as a shared printer on my husband's Linux computer. When setting it up to be seen by my computer, I had to use the GENERIC Driver (not the HP Driver!) so it would stop giving the same silly error. There's some bug with the printer driver, and if you have more than one installed ANYWHERE (on the same computer or on the shared printer computer and your computer), they jam each other up trying to print to the printer.

Hope this may help you, because nothing else I found here on the HP forums was any help to me!

HP Recommended

Hi - I have come across the same issue - my HP LaserJet CP1025 color saying that the 'filter failed' and not printing. Also none of these HP solutions have helped me either.

After some research and finding of this Apple forum: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8649937 I believe that the fault is of Apple and its new update rather than HP. 

From investigation I believe that the update will allow to print downloaded PDFs (not created yourself) as long as no adjustments are made (colour, reverse printing, size etc.). 

I know this doens't solve the issue, I believe that is up to Apple, however I hope it somehow helps knowing it isn't HP's fault/not much that can be done. 

HP Recommended

Hi, I'm facing the same issue as everybody.

I found out that configuring printer's Wifi and printing over wifi works just fine, while using the USB cable gets stuck at 'filter failed'. No need to reset printing system, any update of the OS nor the driver.

Hope this is usefull to somebody.

HP Recommended

I have tried everything in this thread and still cannot get my printer to work.

Running Mac OS Mojave 10.14.5

HP CP1025nw color laserjet

Started out that no matter how many times I pressed the Wireless button, or for how long, it would not turn on. Un-installed, re-installed, rebooted printer and macbook MANY times. Nothing.

Finally got it on and working with my husbands Windows 10 PC (Hm, guess I'm stuck always having a PC in the house)

Now getting filter failed message.

Tried USB printing, error.

Forget wireless, the Mac can't find the printer. (Funny though, it picks up my neighbours, that's NOT an HP)

I've had nothing but issues with this printer since it was new. Constantly dropping the Wireless. Never staying connect. Constantly disappering from PC/Mac/Samsung phone&tablet/iPhone,iPad. Unfortunatly, I have already purchased $500 in new toners for it, so I REALLY don't want to buy a new one, since the toners will be useless in anything else BUT a CP1025.

So, alas, I ask, without being told to "re-install", what exacly is the fix for this? Or is HP ever going to bother?

HP Recommended

How do we install the generic driver?

By the way, any HP folks who are paid by HP, can you please put this in as an issue and prioritize it? This is ridiculous!

HP Recommended

I have looked deeper into this by contacting Apple.

They gave me this link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05900790

The technician said: 

"But from what I could gather, it seem the printer is compatible with OS 10.10 but not the newer version"

I can accept that it might take time to fix a bug. But I want to know that this is being worked on or whether or not I need to find printers that actually work with Macs, which seems to be the ones that accept spooling via wifi. (Am I wrong?) 

I'm super frustrated and I would like an HP representative to respond. 

HP Recommended

I have the exact same issues with the exact same operating system.  The strange thing is that I was printing just fine until I updated the operating system to Mojave.

HP Recommended

@lgwright, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

What model printer do you use? 

Which application are you trying to print from?

Have you tried printing different documents like PDF, Word or Webpages and check if the error persists? If yes, follow these steps:

For now, Update the printer firmware

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Check for any pending software updates on your MAC

Click here to know how.

If you are using a HP LaserJet Pro CP1025 Color Printer series, install the printer driver Via Apple Software update 

1.) Use the steps available here to update the software on Mac.

2.) Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.

3.) Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, If your printer is listed, click the printer name, click the minus sign to delete the printer.

4.) If you see multiple printer queues for the same printer, remove all extra printers by selecting them one at a time, and then clicking the minus button at the bottom of the list.

5.) Click the plus sign, click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name.

6.) Click the Use or Print Using menu, select the name of your printer in the pop-up menu. Then click Add.

Select the name of your printer in the Use menu

7.) Try to print.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.