Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet Pro M255dw

Hello -

Yesterday I received a notification on my M255dw printer that there was a firmware update ready for installation, so I let it proceed.  Afterwards, I noticed an error message on the screen that said to power cycle it.  I figured it was just some post-update jitters and that all would be well, so I turned it off then back on.  However, much to my dismay I now get this error every time the printer tries to go into sleep mode and it is unusable until I reboot it again.  I tried re-installing the firmware update from the utility for macOS - which went through, but did not help anything.  My printer worked perfectly fine before this update, so I'm expecting someone from HP to help here.  If my printer was "bricked" by your update that should've gone through proper testing, then you are responsible.

If anyone from the community has experienced the same thing, please comment below so that we can get their attention.  Or if you found a fix, please list it here.  I did search before making this post and found some tips about disabling IPv6 and WS-Discovery/Printing, which I did but this did not change anything.

Thank you to all who took the time to read this and are willing to help.

IMG_7890.jpg

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I have the exact same printer and the exact same issue. I'd say it will reliably print about 4% of the time. Otherwise it's a constant Error 79 and I am at my wits end. And I'll add -- this has been going on for weeks with the latest firmware

HP Recommended

I found the solution here thanks to another forum member.  S/he was somehow able to talk to HP, even though they seem to refuse to talk to you out of warranty, and get the reset procedure.  It wipes the storage on the printer, taking all of your settings with it unfortunately, but it also got rid of this error for me.

Hope this helps!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.