Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro MFP M127fw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to update our M127 devices to the latest firmware that resolves the Ripple20 vulnerability. The firmware updates are not working. Nothing happens on the printer side even though the firmware update tool reports success. Restarted the printer after the update. Same firmware.  I've confirmed that the PC and printer are communicating with Wireshark.

Anybody else have this issue?

Firmware is here:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-laserjet-pro-mfp-m127-series/5396666

This one(13MB) looks like it is updating but nothing happens on the printer side:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/LES/M127/HP_M127_128_FW_Update_20200602.exe

This update(22MB) just quits when I click "Update":

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/LES/M127/HP_M127FW_128FW_FW_Update.exe

72 REPLIES 72
HP Recommended

If you have access to a WIN 7 running computer try firmware update from WIN 7.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

I tried a Windows 7 and a Server 2012 R2 machine. No change.

HP Recommended

Same issue here.  Updater crashed on W10 1903, but seems to run successfully on W10 1809, however printer firmware is not updated.  Removed admin password, tried wireless and USB connection. 

What the heck HP?

HP Recommended

I replaced the ~11mb product-update.acl with the ~22mb version and it upgraded to 20200531.  Still not the 20200602 though

HP Recommended

what a way to waste a day!

HP Recommended

You can check the embedded web server under settings>security>administrator settings  as it is possible to disable firmware updates, which makes it look like the firmware install is successful but it does not actually install.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion.  This particular model does not have that function.  

HP Recommended

I thought I'd try installing an intermediate firmware update between my printer's current version(20150818) and the latest ones. Maybe a two-step upgrade would work? The problem is I only see these updates on HP's FTP site:

-rwxrwxr-x 1 ftplib 34572848 Dec 6 2015 M127-M128_Series_FW_Update-20140526.exe*
-rwxrwxr-x 1 ftplib 14037912 Jul 16 19:09 HP_M127_128_FW_Update_20200602.exe*
-rwxrwxr-x 1 ftplib 23551856 Jul 16 19:09 HP_M127FW_128FW_FW_Update.exe*

There must be more than just these. Does anybody know of an official HP source for other firmware versions?

HP Recommended

See above:

I replaced the ~11mb product-update.acl with the ~22mb version and it upgraded to 20200531.”

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.