Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 6302
macOS 10.14 Mojave

When I try to update tHP Smart for Desktop i get a message from my Mac Mini (OS 10.14)  saying 'We could not complete your update'. Not sure what to do to solve this.
Thanks for any help you can offer.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@AnnaV3, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Try to update the app from the App store.

Go to the App Store, search for the app, if there is an update available, it will prompt you to update. If not, it would say open.

Also, check for any software updates on MAC

Click the Apple icon > About This Mac > Software Update and install any available update.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you, Kumar0307.
I have downloaded the update, but when I click on Open, I get no further. A window opens that says my printer is offline (which it is as It's connected with a cable) and after a few seconds of the wheel icon turning,  the window closes. I can't open the app at all.

HP Recommended

@AnnaV3

Are you trying to update the printer firmware or the HP Smart app installed on the MAC?

Were you able to update the software on MAC?

Is the MAC connected to the internet?

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'm not sure of the answer to your first question, not knowing what printer firmware is, nor understanding what it is exactly that I"m trying to update. 

I bought the printer in August 2020 and when i came to use it a few days ago the HP Smart app on the Mac prompted me to update.
I have managed to download the update to the Mac, which is connected to the internet. The printer is not connected to the Internet.
When I click on the 'Open' button for the App in the App Store window, a window opens, a wheel whirs for a bit and then the window closes. The same thing happens if I open the HP Smart app from 'Applications' in Finder. Sometimes the window doesn't open at all.
I hope this helps.

HP Recommended

I forgot to add that the update is 5.5.6. Thank you!

HP Recommended

@AnnaV3

Are you able to print fine?

Did you originally download the HP Smart app from the Mac App Store or from HP.com?

If you installed it from hp.com then you can delete /Users/username/Library/Application Support/HP Smart.

Then delete the app in the Applications folder and download HP Smart from Mac App Store.

If you downloaded it from the app store you can basically reset it back to zero by deleting:

/Users/username/Library/Containers/com.hp.SmartMac

Then relaunch the app from the Applications folder and go through setup again.

If you want to update the MAC or HP Smart app, I have mentioned how to do it in my first post.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have been able to print but not scan.

II downloaded the HP Smart app from HP.com. However, there is. no 'HP Smart' in the Application Support folder.Neither do I have a 'Containers' folder in my Library folder.
I have moved the app to Trash and have tried to download it from the App Store. As before, I get as far as  clicking on 'Open', a window opens and closes - the app crashes, I think.

I'm scared to empty the Trash as then I won't have anything and won't be able to print.

HP Recommended

@AnnaV3

I think this issue needs some additional technical assistance that can be better provided through one-on-one interaction or a remote session with our HP Support team.

Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region for further assistance. 

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.