Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet MFP M28-M31
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I set up my new printer in my office, and ran all the software, and the printer connected to my home network, and I was then able to print or scan using HP Smart or HP Scan from my office computer or our home computer (located in the kitchen). I then moved the printer into the kitchen, and it lost its connection to my home network (i.e. the blue Network light was off). This is hard to understand, because in the kitchen, the printer is located just a few feet away from our wireless modem, whereas in my office, it is located about 30 feet away from the modem. I've tried pressing the Network button until the Info and Power lights flashed, then releasing it to start the network connection routine. It failed to connect. 

Does anyone have any idea about how I can make it connect to our home network again?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

After wireless reset and setting up again, printer has to be powered on. 

Do ensure wireless LED is blinking (on)

Thanks.

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Support Community.

Try to do a network reset and try to connect to the network again.

This resource will be useful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o49pTUd6tI0

Hope that helps!

HP Recommended

I didn't get very far with the video. At 1:13, he says "Go to your connections," and the printer is shown in his connections list. When I did this, the printer was not shown in my connections list.  

I made sure that the printer was turned on, and I even restarted my modem, but the printer still doesn't appear there. 

What can I try next?

HP Recommended

Hi @StanSmrke 

Is the wifi switched on for the printer?  If that method doesn't work, try this alternative to access EWS, which would require the HP FULL software to be installed first.

These resources will be useful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMbqkVh2fAk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrCFfDmY030

Hope that helps!

HP Recommended

My wi-fi is switched on and readily accessible to all devices in my apartment, and they are very happy with it. On the printer control panel, the wi-fi light is off. I actually figured out how to reset it to factory defaults using a USB cable, although I concluded that the printer was screwed up when I saw the "There is a problem ... Check your USB ..." message. Now I know that that's HP's secret way of letting you know that you've actually succeeded, I'll try to reconnect it using the HP LaserJet MFP M28-M31 software. I've even downloaded it again today to ensure I have the latest version. 

I'll report back after I've given it a shot. 

HP Recommended

One last question before I try to run the full software package to hopefully reconnect my printer to my home network: the printer should obviously be connected to AC power, and the USB cable should be disconnected until I am instructed to connect it, but should the printer be powered on, or will it look after itself as the installation routine proceeds?

HP Recommended

Hi,

After wireless reset and setting up again, printer has to be powered on. 

Do ensure wireless LED is blinking (on)

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Success!

It didn't go quite like the Install Full Software Package video illustrated, but in the end, after a Restore to Factory Defaults, I managed to get it all working correctly. I can now print and scan from either computer on my home network. 

Thanks for your help and patience. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for your patience working with HP to resolve the issue as well.
Glad to hear all is working now.

Have a nice day!

HP Recommended

CAN SOME1 PLS HELP , WITH THE NETWORK RESET FOR MY PRINTER...HOW DO YOU RESET IT...C309N

HP PHOTOSMART PREMIUM WEB

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.