Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 7730 Wide Format All-in-One Printer

Hi, I've installed new cartridges but the error message is "the indicated cartridge is an older generation cartridge that does not work in your printer. It can still be used with some older printer models". The cartridge is the exact right type and newer that the one that was already in. Other posts say that it needs a firmware downgrade? I've tried factory reset.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @Evanio23,

Welcome to HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

If your HP printer is displaying an error message indicating that a new cartridge is "an older cartridge," it typically means that the printer is not detecting the new cartridge properly. This error can occur for a variety of reasons, such as a defective cartridge, a dirty cartridge chip or contacts, or a firmware issue with the printer.

To resolve this error, you can try the following steps:

• Remove the new cartridge from the printer and inspect it for any damage or defects. If you find any issues, replace the cartridge with a new one.
  • Clean the cartridge chip and contacts with a soft, lint-free cloth to remove any dust or debris.
  • Turn off the printer and unplug it from the power source for at least 60 seconds. Then, plug it back in and turn it on.
  • Install the new cartridge again and check if the error message has disappeared. 

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4
HP Support

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Hi, the cartridge is new out of the box. I've cleaned it, factory reset the printer, turned it off and back on, reseated it, cleaned it. It's the same for the whole suite of new cartridges that are just out the box too. There is no sign of damage. The cartridges are the same model number. Gone through every permutation but I don't know how to reset the firmware?

Thanks,

David

HP Recommended

Hi @Evanio23,

Thank you for your response, 

I would request you contact our HP Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link.

https://www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.

Have a great day!

Alden4
HP Support

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

HP changed the design of the cartridges used in your printer and updated the firmware to reject the old-generation cartridges.  See the document here for information.

In my opinion, HP should replace any genuine HP cartridges that are giving the Old Generation Cartridge error.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

@Evanio23 

We require information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.