Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp Officejet 5255
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have this printer linked to my Dell Inspiron by a cable to my USB 1 connection. I know there is some sort of communication, because I can "Manage" the printer as far as looking at jobs in the print queue, and deleting them, but that's it. It will not print a test page.

When it was installed it was actually listed in my Printers folder 3 times, I guess because of the Fax and Scan portions. I don't fax, so that doesn't matter and there is no phone connection to the printer. But when I try to scan, it simply says that the connection to the printer has been lost in the front window of the Printer. But on my laptop screen it says the "scanner is busy."

One of the 3 mentioned listings of the printer in the Printers folder identifies it as "HP510AF - (HP OfficeJet 5200 Series" then says "No Driver available." I have re-installed the printer and restarted the computer more than once and downloaded and installed a printed driver with a date of March 18, 2021, so it should be able to find a driver! Trouble shooters don't work. It had been working until a couple of months ago, but business has been busy and I have a fine large-format printer that has been carrying the load. Finally had time to tackle it again today - hours wasted  - it sill won't print! The job just sits there saying "Printing" and sometime later it will say "ERROR. . ."  but I cannot find an error code.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Armadilly, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand you are not able to print from your computer connected using a USB cable.

Have you tried using an alternate USB cable and check if that helps?

Try making a standalone copy and check if that works. By this, we can conclude if this is a hardware or a driver issue.

• Make sure the cable is directly connected between the computer and the printer.
  • The use of a USB hub is not recommended. 
  • Do you have an Anti-virus/firewall installed on the computer? If yes, disable the same for time being.

Use the HP Smart app to print and scan from your Win 10 PC

Click here to download and know more about the app.

For more info on how to connect the printer to the PC using a USB cable, refer to - HP printer setup (USB cable)

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response. Got the App installed.

Ok, so the printer will  print a copy!! Hadn't tried this.

I did learn in reading various tips that I could try again to do a wireless connection - so I went to Settings and selected the option to set it up again all over again. It went through the set-up, discovered my router, and I held the WPS button and it appeared to connect.  But within a minute the status changed,  the IP address has disappeared and the Status is "not connected." So I plugged in the USB again and proceeded to see what was happening.

So I decided to Scan something, starting it from the app. It identified my laptop and I started the scan. It displayed the scan on my laptop screen and I decided to print it from there. NOTHING  HAPPENED. I then went to the info window on the printer and tapped on my laptop and told it to save as a PFA. It did, and then I was able to Open the PDF in Adobe Acrobat Reader and it printed from there! Hooray.

So I decided it was time to attempt to print again. I tried  from the App and it told me I needed to finish installing the printer.  But after waiting a few minutes it gave me a message that  needed to manually install the Driver. But then I lost the page and couldn't figure out what to do..

The App says the  printer status is unknown. It will however, show me the status of the supplies - indicating that I may need black ink soon! Color is fine. In my Printers & Scanners folder is says Driver is  unavailable

I cannot figure out what is going on.

HP Recommended

@Armadilly

Thank you for the detailed response.

Run HP Print and Scan Doctor to diagnose and fix any driver issue

Click here to download the file. Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and click on 'Fix printing'.

If the issue persists, proceed to the next step.

Click here to download the HP Full-feature driver.

Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.

Try printing.

Let me know how it goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

OK, spent 2 hours on this. The printer shows that it is connected to my wireless network. The blue light is steadily "On" beside the little "screen" on the front of the printer. I downloaded and installed the "full-featured" driver from the link you provided and it had me do the HPSmart routine. I followed everything, and finally ended with a screen that told me to open the Printers & Scanners folder and click "Add a Printer" this routine resulted in minutes of searching during which the HP5200 was not foiund. I finally  followed the screen that said "this is an older printer, and loaded the TCP/IP address. The report was that no printer was found (except my big PageWide 477 which is on the wireless network.)

Finally the screen appeared that showed me all the multicolored buttons for print, scan, fax, etc and displayed my ink status! Sounds wonderful doesn't it. I tried to print a document from MSWord and the printer does appear as an option. Returned to the Printers & Scanners folder and sure enough, the printer that couldn't be found is actually listed!!! But, it says "Driver is unavailable.) 

Printer will Scan and Copy  -  IT JUST WON'T PRINT!!!

HP Recommended

@Armadilly

If the printer is connected to the wireless network, let us use the IP address of the printer to install it.

1. On the PC, go to Control panel > Devices and printers > Remove the existing printer entry > click on Add a printer(at the top) 
  2. Under 'Choose a device or printer', click on 'The printer I want isn't listed'.
  3. Select 'Add a printer using a TCP/IP address'
  4. Find the IP address of the printer by tapping on the wireless/ethernet icon on the printer screen
  5. Type in the 'IP address in Hostname or IP address' box, click next
  6. Proceed to the next steps by following the on-screen instructions.
  7. Try printing.

If the issue persists, Install the printer using Windows built-in driver

Refer to this document to know how. Try printing.

Let me know how it goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

OK,  so this time, miraculously, when I clicked "Add a Printer" my OfficeJet5200 cam up - listed as "HPD510AF" So I clicked "Add Device" and a blue line appeared under the name. It stayed like that for over 10 minutes and now says "Driver not Available."

Any further ideas??

HP Recommended

@Armadilly

I understand. Kindly follow the steps mentioned in my previous post to install the printer using its IP address and let me know how it goes.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.