Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 8100
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Tried to print doc but printer was offline.  Tried restarting printer and computer and checking paper supply, modem, Sys Pref, etc., but nothing worked.  Deleted printer from Sys Pref, and then could not reinstall because no printers were available in the list.  Need help reinstalling and then getting printer back online.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @Theo47,

I'd like to help!

1.)What is the status of the wireless light on the printer, steady or blinking?

2.) Are the printer and Mac connected to the same network?

3.) Is your router dual-band enabled i.e., both 2.4GHz and 5GHz? If yes, make sure the dual-band has different SSIDs for 2.4G and 5G networks.

4.) What is the distance between the router and the printer?

5.) Is there antivirus software installed on your Mac?

Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Thanks, Jay.  I'm just now replying because I decided to try a direct connection, and I had to order a cable, which took awhile to arrive.  It does work, so we have the ability to print now, but I would still like to have the WiFi option.

1. Blinking

2. If you mean to the same router, yes.

3. Where do I find the two SSIDs?

4. 2-3 feet

5. Yes, Malwarebytes

HP Recommended

Let's trying converting the USB setup to wireless.

Try the steps in the document -Changing from a USB to a Wireless Connection

Keep me posted!

HP Recommended

- In first solution, All Settings icon is grayed out, so cannot get to Wireless Setup.

- In second solution, wireless icon on printer is blinking.  Pressed WPS on router, but icon did not turn solid.  Went to Apple/SysPref/Printers&Scanners, and the printer was listed.  Deleted it, but when I tried to reinstall it, there was no listing.  Same as original problem.

HP Recommended

Were you able to convert the USB setup to wireless?

Let me know!

HP Recommended

Thanks for following up, Jay.  Yes, but I had to get Geek Squad to help me.  They installed an app that does the conversion.

HP Recommended

That's great, Are you able to print and scan?

is the issue resolved?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.