Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8023
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there,

First of all, my greetings to all the folks on this forum.
Despite my trying to resolve this problem directly with HP support and avoid waiting for someone with the same problem to help me out, I'm forced to look for a help outside official HP support boundaries.
So, I just got new firmware update with DS enabled forever which means I can't use non HP cartridges anymore - never. My printer became piece of useless plastic thing...

I would appreciate someone to provide me with the old firmware without DS feature. Also, I'm sure that there is some special procedure which will be also helpful to me.

BR,

Davor

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

@CRO_Habi

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

We can try a reset here.

I have sent you a private message, for more details that cannot be shared in a public post.

Please do check your inbox on the communities page for the private message.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Can you help me also in the same printer please

HP Recommended

@YAEL1800

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

We can try a reset here.

I have sent you a private message, for more details that cannot be shared in a public post.

Please do check your inbox on the communities page for the private message.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

A friend did not send me

HP Recommended

They have sent me procedure how to make a semi-full reset. Reset will not help here.
We need procedure how to revert firmware to the previous version.

HP is not willing to share this information with their customers. And this is not the first time they did this. From this lessons learned we as their customers should make some moves and make penalties on this action from HP...

HP Recommended

Are there any new solutions for this problem?

HP Recommended

HP Reset does NOT work!!!

We need a procedure how to revert firmware to the previous version.

HP please listen:

We need a procedure how to revert firmware to the previous version.

HP Recommended

Yes, there is.

HP should release firmware with Dynamic Security disabled (as was before or at least at the time when I bought HP printer).

Or (more likely) to switch your HP with some other manufacturer printer.

HP Recommended

It looks like there is a lawsuit against HP regarding this:

A proposed class action claims HP, Inc. has transmitted firmware updates to its printers that block customers from using third-party ink and toner cartridges and force them to buy more expensive HP-branded supplies.

According to the 25-page lawsuit, the firmware updates essentially “act as malware” by adding, deleting or altering the printers’ code to render competitors’ products incompatible with HP printers. Per the case, the firmware update, or at least the portion that blocks the use of third-party cartridges, “serves no legitimate business purpose” and blind sides customers who were never warned that the update would strip them of their ability to buy less expensive supplies for their printers.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.