Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP officejet all in one 8028

Horrible gap in the instructions! Just purchased the HP printer 8028, and it wasn't clear that you MUST subscribe for the instant Ink program in order to initialize the starter ink cartridges. I had to Google to find that little info nugget. Went to do that, but you must first connect to wifi. However, I cannot access the home screen now to connect to wifi because the screen is stuck on alignment page. It keeps trying to align and print a test page when it hasn't even been set up, so there is a never-ending loop. Please help!!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@MOBLEY1, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

You need not enroll the printer in Instant Ink to initialize, it is your choice. If the printer is stuck at alignment, restart the printer and reinsert the ink cartridges. if the '?' icon is highlighted, tap on that for help.

Perform the steps mentioned in this document - Alignment Errors

For more info, refer to - First Time Printer Setup

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response.

Please note that I have done all of the steps REPEATEDLY. Please understand that the setup CANNOT be completed due to the InstantInk Ready cartridges that came with the printer. Once they were inserted the screen stated that it was 'checking printer'. Once done it gives the error that "Only one set of cartridges can be used in the printer...remove and replace cartridges". I now understand that it is because these (supposedly complimentary) cartridges are for the InstantInk Program exclusively. That is fine. However, I cannot subscribe because when I try to do that it asks me to select icons from the printer's Home screen which WILL NOT change from this error page or the alignment page which means that setup can not be completed. The "?" doesn't do anything but takes me in a loop to the alignment page which of course also cannot be completed. It just sits there forever with no success.

Hopefully this is clear, so please do not ask me to restart and do all of the normal setup procedures because they will not work with these cartridges. I have tried many times. To be clear, I need to know how to get to the Home screen in order to complete setup. Currently, it seems that the only option is to purchase new non-subscription cartridges which means that these (supposedly complimentary) cartridges will not be able to be used, and that seems very unfair to your customer.

Thank you in advance. Hoping you have the magic touch. 🙂

HP Recommended

@MOBLEY1

If the issue persists after performing all the necessary steps, I'm afraid this is a hardware issue. Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region regarding the service/replacement options for your printer. 

You may create a case on the website to obtain a case number if required. Kindly watch this video to know how.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Did this issue get resolved for you? I have the very same issue. What was the resolution

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.