Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Officejet 4500 G510a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey,

I'm really frustrated.

I'm using a Windows 10 laptop which I'm regulary taking with me on the road, and I need to print something  at home once in a while. That means most of the time the USB cord of the printer is disconnected from the laptop.

The thing is, when reconnecting it - the printer won't respond to any printing requests!

I can see the printer in Windows Devices and Printers, I can see it's online, I can see the document in the queue - but nothing else happens, the printer itself is idle. And of course, the Spooler service crashes after the first attempt to print, so I need to restart it manually.

The only solution that has worked so far is to uninstall and reintall the entire driver bundle, including the Solution Center, etc. Then, the printer works fine until I disconnect the USB (which I have to). A couple of days go by, I need to print something else - connecting the USB - and all of the sudden the printer, again, doesn't respond.

The exact model is Officejet 4500 G510a, CM753, and the driver version is 14.8.0, which is the right one for my serial number.

Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I believe I found a partial solution:

1. Completely uninstall the HP driver bundle
  2. from Control Panel, go to Devices and Printers --> right-click on the auto-identified printer --> see what's printing
  3. Printer menu --> Properties --> Advanced tab --> New Driver
  4. Install one of these:
    1.  Generic / Text only driver
    2. MS Publisher Color Printer (for color printing)
    3. OfficeJet 4500 G510a-f Class Driver
  5. Make sure the new driver is the selected one in the Driver box.
  6. Another setting in  Advanced tab --> select "Start printing after last page is spooled" option

This has worked for me, for now. The next time I'll be trying to print after a long time of keeping the laptop disconnected from the printer - I'll update if it was successful.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I believe I found a partial solution:

1. Completely uninstall the HP driver bundle
  2. from Control Panel, go to Devices and Printers --> right-click on the auto-identified printer --> see what's printing
  3. Printer menu --> Properties --> Advanced tab --> New Driver
  4. Install one of these:
    1.  Generic / Text only driver
    2. MS Publisher Color Printer (for color printing)
    3. OfficeJet 4500 G510a-f Class Driver
  5. Make sure the new driver is the selected one in the Driver box.
  6. Another setting in  Advanced tab --> select "Start printing after last page is spooled" option

This has worked for me, for now. The next time I'll be trying to print after a long time of keeping the laptop disconnected from the printer - I'll update if it was successful.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.