Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 6000
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I've seen this issue has come up several times.  I have also seen that it has been resolved by following a lot of instructions that make no sense to me!

My printer is in the room directly above the router, no other bluetooth, microwaves etc nearby.

My laptop is less than 2 years old and the printer is 2 months old.  This is driving me nuts - if this is such a well known issue, why haven't hp sorted it?  If I had known it would be this difficult & stressful I would not have bought an hp printer and I would not recommend them to anyone.

I can understand a printer 'going to sleep' if not used for a period of time, but I would have thought that the next time it received a command to print, it would waken up & print.......or is that too much to ask?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

There can be a couple of issues at play here:

1. Depending on your router, the printer could be getting dropped due to inactivity or if connecting to the 5Ghz channel it may not be completely compatible. I typically recommend that you set a different SSID for the 2.4Ghz channel of the router (if applicable) and only allow the printer to connect to that.

2. To meet ever stringent Eco Rules, some printers will physically shut off after a set time period and in some cases this feature cannot be turned off.

3. Many times when installing a network printer, Windows will configured the driver using a WSD port. The ongoing challenge is that WSD ports do not always maintain proper status of a printer and events like going to sleep or a paper out error can cause Windows to classify the printer as offline. It is much more reliable to use a TCP/IP port for the print driver and set a static IP address on the printer.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.....which as I said previously, makes no sense to me.   I am so tired & stressed after dealing with this issue all day, that I will read your reply again tomorrow.

But, my first thought is - why when a printer hoes offline does a print command not waken it up?  Your customers just want a printer that works  - plug in, switch on & go - whenever needed!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.