Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Photosmart 309s
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Was able to scan fine using the device when using HP Solution Centre, but mid January 2021 it stopped working due to Adobe Flash Player.

Trying to scan using usnig HP Smart, but the icon just shows Photosmart All-in-one Pinrter Scanner and has an orange exclamation mark. I was able to get rid of this by running a troubleshooter which found and fixed an issue - clearing a few documents from the network print queue, but still the orange exclamation mark and cannot scan. It says Scan not supported and telling me to check communications - but in other parts of HP Smart it was clear it was receiving device information.

Removing HP Smart and the HP software from the website and re-installing it - at one point - seemed to remove the orange exclamation mark - but it returned a minute later after I tried to scan.

Can you help me get the HP scanner working again?

Julia

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try using HP Scan Extended or HP Scan and Capture as listed below,:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-Knowledge-Base/HP-Solution-Center-not-working-Adobe-Flash-Pla...

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.

I had thought that HP Smart was the replacement app for all devices running Windows 10 - and it is the one that the HP website says I should use.

Why are 2 additional programs needed? I have managed to try the Scan one, it looks pretty but the settings appear to be in so many diferent places, so I looked at the HP Scan Extended - and this is the app I have used before, so I recognised it immediately and how to use it.

However, I now have a query. At the outsiet of troubleshooting, I decided it was the print driver which was the problem - so I removed it to re-install.

However, the replacement from HP website (strangely dated 6 years ago in 2015) recognised the printer but refused to finish the installation and insisted on removing the setup. It said it would send a message to HP to look for a solution, but with no contact info taken how would I be notified of an update?

So I am not 100% sure if the printer will print and scan, even with these new apps.

Can you advise me how to proceed with getting the device back up and running fully again?

Julia

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.