Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart 5514
macOS 11.0 Big Sur

I have a Photosmart 5514 printer that used to belong to my son and hasn't been used in several months, so I replaced the cartridges, and the ink levels register as being full.  It will do color copies (from documents I place on the glass for copying)  just fine, but I can't get it to print from my computer  in color, only black and white.   I printed a "Printer Status" page, and everything looks fine, and the colors look great.  The "Print Quality Report" looks fine, as well.  

But when I try to print from my laptop, there's no color option whatsoever on the preferences page.  There is nothing asking me if I want B&W, color, or grayscale.  The print preview shows only black and white.

I have it connected to my laptop with a USB connection, because I couldn't get it to set up wirelessly. 

Is there a switch of some kind I am missing to get it to print in color?

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @jgot,

I'd like to help!

To assist better-

1) Does the copy print out the same way? 

2) What's the application you are trying to print from? Have you tried printing from a different application or device? 

While you respond to that, try the steps in the document -  Print Quality Issues

Try updating mac and printer firmware

To update the printer's firmware, refer - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

To update Mac, try these steps - How to update the software on your Mac

Also, refer to -HP print settings guide (Windows, Mac)

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

Thank you for your assistance!

1) The copy function works fine.  I can place a color document on the glass and it will print in color.

2) I have tried printing from Photos, and colored webpages using Safari and Chrome.  I have tried printing colored documents.

I have tried printing from two different laptops, and can only print in black and white.  There is no color option on the drop-down menu.  

3)  Print quality issues - ink levels are all full and Print Quality Report directly from printer is fine.

My IOS is 11.6

I went through the steps of downloading firmware again, and got all the way through "add and verify your device" but when I got to test page, the scanner with scan, but when I tried to "print test page", nothing happened.

The drop down menus do not list a black & white or color option!

I don't understand, because when I had an Epson color printer, there was always a color option in the drop down menu.  I have never experienced this problem before.

When I Googled this problem, something came up in the HP community forum.  This person had the same issue that I am having, and she said the when all was said and done, she learned that this was a common problem with this printer, so she ended up just getting rid of it.  Is this really the case?  If this is true, I'd just as soon not spin my wheels anymore, and will just purchase a new (non HP) printer.  It's a shame, because the copies print just fine.  There is a problem with the communication between my laptops and the printer.

I was unable to get the printer onto mu home network, so can't test the wireless printing. 

Thank you for advice.

HP Recommended

Thanks for getting back to me.

Try the below suggestions-

Try updating mac and printer firmware

To update the printer's firmware, refer - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

To update Mac, try these steps - How to update the software on your Mac

Uninstall HP Easy Start

• Click on Spotlight icon and type HP Uninstaller or by opening HP Easy Start.
  • Click on Continue to uninstall the software.
  • When prompted for password, type in your system password
  • You can also uninstall by opening HP Easy Start.

Download HP Easy Start and install the printer.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.