Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Gigabyte H81M
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I am trying to install Print and Scan Doctor. The download that is proposed is 5.5.2.6

When I launch the program, a window briefly opens and then closes again. PC-Doctor lists a crash of the app:

I am on Windows 20H2 current updates

Now if I could only figure out how to add a screenshot jpg. In edit mode I can see it, in the actual post not.

HP Print and Scan Doctor Crashes.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@rudolffischer 

The image is just sitting in the bin awaiting approval by the moderators.

Ignore it - those of us who need to find / see the image can do so.

Not sure about why your 20H2 cannot run the new doctor.

Seems odd, I think.

I cannot duplicate the error - I realize that doesn't mean anything to you.

Try this version:

Offline Doctor V5.0.7

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/hppsdr/patches/HPPSdr.exe

• Download and Save the doctor to your computer
  • Open File Explorer > Navigate to the folder in which you saved the file (likely Downloads)
  • Execute the doctor – Answer any prompts /  let the process complete
  • Restart the computer, log in, and wait for the final steps in the Doctor to finish.
  • Check for any difference.

Original Notes – Contributed by ShlomiL

Paraphrased

Connection Issues

• Print and Scan Doctor Version 5.0.7 creates a secondary queue for printing with TCP/IP port.

After the Offline Doctor completes…

Verify / Adjust the “Default” printing device (Default Printer)

Settings > Devices > Printers and scanners

UNCHECK (clear box) Let Windows manage my default printer

Select (Left-Click) your printer from the list of printers > Manage > Set as Default

OR

Open Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers > Right-Click on printer > Set printer as Default

NOTES – Selecting Default Printer 

1. Do not select the printer marked as “Scan Only / DO NOT DELETE”
  2. Do not select the printer marked as “Fax”

Example Default Printer:  Set “Default” Printer = HP OfficeJet Pro 9020 series PCL-3 (Net)

ReferenceHP Printers - Printer is Offline (Windows) > Step 2: Manually set the default printer

==============================================================================

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

Reminder:  The Community is not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks @Dragon-Fur 

I tried Doctor 5.0.7 but got the same result as with the latest one. PC-Doctor reports the following crash info:

ApplicationNameHPDiagnosticCoreUI.exe

ApplicationVersion5.0.7.9

ExceptionCode3027

FaultOffset6d

ModuleNamemscorlib

ModuleVersion4.8.4300.0

ReportID1001-1608483024Windows Error Reporting

Same error, same module and exception code as with 5.5.2.6

HP Recommended

@rudolffischer 

You are welcome.

So..

I don't know.

I can't find anything in the folder hierarchy that provides a definitive explanation.

(Reference:  C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Diagnostics\PSDR)

I would Guess one or more of the following is worth checking...

• Windows Updates are not yet actually up-to-date (Run again?)
  • Your Security Software is blocking the Doctor - this is unusual but I think it is possible.
  • Something odd is going on in your Temp Folder ( C:\Users\AccountName\AppData\Local\Temp )
  • Your UAC is set "too high" (Reference UAC - Microsoft Document - How User Account Control works )

I cannot comment on whether any of the HP drivers might be impacting the results.

At the moment, I'm running 20H2 but I don't have any of the ZBook HP drivers installed (personal choice / experiment).

Reference

The Print and Scan Doctor – Which Doctor?

The Doctor can help with several issues, including driver, connection, and "jobs stuck in the queue".

HP Print and Scan Doctor for Windows

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

Reminder:  The Community is not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I have now tried to install Print and Scan Doctor 5.5.2 on another machine, a ThinkPad T480. Exaclty the same result as with the Gigabyte H81M Motherboard Desktop.

Seems strange to me that both machines should have an issue that blocks Print and Scan Doctor. Problem occurs with both 5.0.7. and 5.5.2 on both machines. Both run windows 10 20H2. The Desktop was a clean install around a week ago.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.