Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a new HP Spectre laptop, had installed my HP Officejet Pro 8600 printer successfully or so I thought as it was working fine.  Went to print today and the print jobs were stuck on spooling. Went to HP support, uninstalled and reinstalled the printer, now the radio buttons on print preferences where you can select whether to print in black and white or color are missing. Only have buttons to select quality. Any suggestions? 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try following below specific version of the HP Print and Scan Doctor Utility by selecting your printer:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/hppsdr/patches/HPPSdr.exe

Be sure to restart your PC and allow the utility to complete the process, then check for any difference.

Try printing and check for any change, if the same remains try printing using the newly added print queue copy (Copy1) and check for any difference.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

I followed the first part of your instructions, restarted my system and the buttons are still not there.  Could you please explain how to do this:  "try printing using the newly added print queue copy (Copy1) and check for any difference."  

This is what I mean - in screenshot below - can only choose quality, not whether to print in color or b&w. 

dragonflymonroe_0-1617397257501.png

HP Recommended

Could you please close the shown Preferences screen and click the Printers dialog within word to expend it, then include a screenshot of the shown printers in the list?

HP Recommended

dragonflymonroe_0-1617448213672.png

here is the list of printers

HP Recommended

Thanks for clarifying,

Try the other print queue of your printer, the other one should offer color printing:

ShlomiL_0-1617449513418.png

Ensure it and complete the print job, then click Start > Settings (Gear icon) > Devices > Printers & Scanner and select it, click Manage and then Set Default to change the default print queue.

Shlomi

HP Recommended

I'm really not sure you understand what I am trying to resolve. That print queue is already set up as default.  My issue (again) is this: in the past when I have printed from a program such as Word or Excel, or email, I had choices with radio buttons to not only choose the quality of the print but also there was a button that said "color" , a button that said "black and white" and a button that said "grayscale".  

NOW, there are only buttons to choose quality.  

Conversely when I right click and select print on this webpage for example I get this:  See how I have the choice to print in color OR in b&w? 

dragonflymonroe_0-1617536589597.png

BUT if I choose More Options - on SAME webpage print box -  and select "print with system dialogue" and go to print preferences, that choice is missing (just like when I try to print from another program):

dragonflymonroe_1-1617536835971.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.