Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet Pro M254nw
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I replaced my dead LaserJet 4 with a Color, (that is how they spell it), LaserJet Pro M254nw printer. The old printer just worked. This printer causes me problems every time I want to print something. Right now, I need to print a letter, it does not print. I have spent two days going through software help "agents", my driver is current, the software can detect the printer. It simply will not print anything, AGAIN. It is a Wndows 8.1 x64 system.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

More information! I turned the printer on, I am still trying to print the letter. It did not print, okay, no real surprise, so I moved on to something else. About 15 minutes later, I lost contact with the net. This machine, another similar one under my desk and the printer are connected to a Linksys router/switch, (an Etherfast Cable/DSL Router - it is about 8 years old), when something is connected to the ports on the back, one of the leds lights on the front panel indicating a channel in use.

There are two other leds, one is the router in port which, via a cumbersome number of links and devices, connects the router to another router on the ground floor, for onward connection to the house access point. This led is always lit.

The final led is a kind of "status" indicator, normally, this, too, is always lit. When the router is powered on, this flashes for a few seconds, then remains solid.

What I saw today, was the status led started flashing and I could not access the net. I powered cycled the router, it all came back to its usual state... for about 15 minutes, it then started flashing again. this happened a couple more times. Downstairs, the router there showed everything to be normal, but I power cycled it to be sure. Again, after about 15 minutes, the status led here started flashing again.

I powered the printer down, it is no use to me anyway, and would be one less thing to think abaout with the new problem. Exxcept, the network problem I was having vanished. Hmmm, I thought, and turned the printer on again... yup, 15 minutes later, I had the same network trouble, turn it off, the problem disappears.

I now believe the problem I am having printing is not so much with the print engine itself, but with the network connection. I have no idea how to fix that, any ideas, or a call to HP is called for.

HP Recommended

Trying to move forward, I removed the network cable and connected a usb cable between the printer and a port on this computer. It will not be an ideal solution as it would mean only being able to print from here, but hey. Now, THAT doesn't seem to work either. I'll call HP's local office in the morning.

HP Recommended

@adrianxw, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I see that you are not able to print from your Win 8.1 computer.

To assist you better, 

• Try making a standalone copy and check if that works. By this, we can conclude if this is a hardware or a driver issue.
  • Which application are you trying to print from?
  • Have you tried printing different types of documents like PDF, Word, or Webpages and check if the issue persists?

Run HP Print and Scan Doctor to diagnose and fix any driver issue

Click here to download the file. Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and click on 'Fix printing'.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I spent some time talking to HP and we reached the point whereby the source of the problem I am seeing appears to be the Linksys router I have. I have ordered a replacement which will rectify the problem when it arrives. Running the printers self diagnosis program, it showed its IP address to be an apipa address, so I guess the router did not understand that, and hence, no communication link was established, hence no printing. The new router will be here in a day or two, if there are still problems I'll let you know.

HP Recommended

@adrianxw

Sure, keep us posted for any other assistance. Happy to help!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I replaced my aging LinkSys router with a modern tp-link model, which, whilst covered with aerials and flashing lights, can stoop low enough to do the job I require of it. With the ip addressing sorted out, the printer prints, my letter is posted. Problem solved.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.