Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Laserjet MFP M477
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just received a new Windows 10 computer.  I'm trying to install my Laserjet M477 through my network.  

I go to the Windows printer setup.  It finds the printer immediately, but then stalls out with an error message like "driver is unavailable" after a few minutes.   

When I open "HP Smart" it finds the printer and gives me all kinds of information about the cartridges, etc.  It just says  the printer is not installed.  

I've tried disabling Norton Antivirus.    

Also the printer prints a test page saying I've correctly installed the printer!!!!!!!

I can uninstall and reinstall the printer from my other Windows 10 machines, it's just something about my new computer.  

Any thoughts would be WONDERFUL.     Thanks.

-Alan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Never mind, I ran the HP installer instead of the Microsoft Windows installer and it works fine now.  

Who'd have thought??

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Never mind, I ran the HP installer instead of the Microsoft Windows installer and it works fine now.  

Who'd have thought??

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.