Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8720
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Received an email with the following subject:

Security Bulletin Alert for your HP Officejet Pro All-in-One Products and HP DesignJet Printers

Very unclear whether this pertained to me or not.  Way too much information on every kind of HP Printer.  HP Should send registered owners of OfficeJet Pro emails tailor made for them.  But that's not the issue.

Following the link on the email I went to what looked like an HP Support page with instructions for updating my firmware.

Clicked on the link on that "HP" webpage and received an error message. What the????

So opened a new web page and starting from hp.com followed the thread through support to my printer and found a 'new" firmware originally posted in July 2020.  I found no way on my Mac to see if the current firmware on the printer was up to date or not. (Very poor design)  Also tried using the printer's own touchscreen to determine the current version of firmware installed - NOLUCK. ??  Again poor design.

So I decided to download and install the July Firmware update.  I downloaded it and started the app and it just hung there unable to fine my printer or something??

It all made me feel like the original email and everything was a hoax trying to install rogue software on my computer.

This stinks.

So now I have no idea if the original email was really from HP

Absolutely no easy way to contact them to find out - no customer service

No way to know what firmware version I have installed on my Officejet Pro 8720

No way to know if I need to update my firmware

Can't use the firmware update that I downloaded from the HP Support site to even try and install the new firmware

Blocked at every turn.

And I've been using HP Printers forever.  But was just visiting a friend and enjoyed using their Cannon printer. hmmmmmm.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@steveweinberg 

Not likely a hoax, though it is unfortunate that you had trouble tracking down the information for the Firmware and concluded the bulletin is not valid.

Bulletins are indeed sent out to people with the understanding that the bulletin / advisory is not a personal notification for a single product (though it could happen, I guess).  It is true, too, that the formatting is not always "personal letter" friendly.  Ask if you have trouble reading (do provide the link to the bulletin) someone can usually help you read through the details when you need an assist.

I do very much hope the name of your printer near the end of your message is a misprint.  The "w" is  not close to the "t" in jet.  I will ask the Moderators to correct it for you.

How to find the printer firmware version?

Category How-to > Subject Diagnostics & Support Tools

Printing Self-Test Pages

See Section Print a Printer Status Report

and / or

Example

Use Embedded Web Server (EWS) to find your printer's Firmware version

Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

Tab Tools > Printer Information > Firmware Version

Example - EWS - Extract the firmware version from the full firmware version information.

Firmware VersionMANHHIPP1N001.2010A.00

In necessary, that is, your printer firmware is outdated, check / update the firmware

HP Officejet Pro 8710/8720 Firmware Update - MacOS 

What about your friend's printer?

Yes, other manufacturers make really decent printers.  That said, I had an Officejet Pro 8740 printer for a year as a loaner and it remains one of my favorite printers of all time.  I have now, it's newer brother the Officejet Pro 9025.  Personal choice and we all have to decide.

What about calling Support?

The reason you cannot easily contact HP Support to ask questions is simply that your product is out-of-warranty.  Normal process.  You do have us, however, and with the exception of providing or accepting any personal information, we can usually assist with issues for your HP device(s).

Finally,

I have exhausted the help I can provide.  I don't have it and don't speak MacOS.  The closest I have is a rather nice iPad Pro - but that is iOS and not relevant.  That said, if you have questions about using Catalina with your printer, we do have Experts that can help.

References

For those reading, 

Find bulletins / Notices that are relevant to your device

• Subscribe to HP Alerts

Get connected with updates from HP

and / or

• Check for information at your computer's support website

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your device

When the website support page opens, select Category Bulletins and Notices (wording may vary)

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 All-in-One Printer series 

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.