Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Smart Tank 516
macOS 11.0 Big Sur

Suddenly I cannot scan or print using my 4 months young Smart Tank 516. It worked perfectly for 4 months. My printer is online and is ready (same as before). BUT now, when I want to scan or print, a window opens to 'sign in' or 'create account'. When I click 'sign in', I get a series of windows. First 'launching HP account' and an empty page opens in my browser and stays empty forever. Then a window 'This can take up to 20 seconds' which changes to 'thanks for your patience' and stays so forever and ever. I close everything after 10-15 minutes. Start all over, and again the same happens, in other words: Nothing!  HP customer support is useless. First you are given the run around, going through several pages and then back to the first page again. The chat icon doesn't work. Only the virtual chat icon works which gave me 5 different automated suggestions which I all tried out. No success! The same happens over and over again and over again and over again and over again. Extremely frustrating. In the meantime my brand-new HP scanner/printer is useless. No phone numbers. No humans to chat with. Nothing! Customer service of Apple and Microsoft are 1000x better and more efficient.  I really hope somebody in this community can help.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

UPDATE:

Using my iPhone and the HP Smart app, the scanner/printer works perfectly, but after several restarts of my MacBook Air, the same problems occur. I get the opening screen with all options/buttons showing it is connected to the printer and all actions (settings, etc.) function, except the scan and print options do not work. When clicked,  I keep on getting the screen to either 'sign in' or 'create account' of which neither work....see previous post what happens.

Anybody can help?

HP has no customer service (except a useless virtual chat), so I depend fully on this community.

HP Recommended

@chaver4u, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I see that you are not able to print or scan from your Mac. Let us try these steps:

It seems like you are using the HP Smart app. Try using the AirPrint option to print and scan.

Update the printer firmware

Click here to download and install the latest printer firmware from your Mac.

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Also, check for any software updates on Mac

Click the Apple icon > About This Mac > Software Update and install any available update.

Install the printer using Airprint driver as shown in step 2 of this document - Printing with Apple AirPrint (Mac)

For scanning, use the HP Easy Scan from the App Store or Apple Image Capture.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks Kumar.

I should have thought of that using my Mac's built-in Printers and Scanners option.

I did just now, and everything worked fine: printing and scanning.

But, still, I wonder why the HP Smart app on my Mac suddenly stopped working, only for the printing and scanning jobs, while everything else in that app on my Mac works. And the HP app on my iPhone works fine. Absolutely strange.

Anyway, thanks for mentioning the solution and the get-around.

Robert

HP Recommended

@chaver4u

Glad to know that the printer is working fine with the AirPrint drivers. If you have already tried reinstalling the HP Smart app from the App Store and the issue persists with the app, please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region for further assistance.

You may create a case on the website to obtain a case number if required. Kindly watch this video to know how.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.