Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I am unable to install my newly purchased HP M1136 printer and I am getting error 'USB is not connected to Printer'. Although, the printer is connected with laptop using provided USB cable. I tried it on

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @PIYUSHGARG,

I'd like to help!

To assist better -

1. What device are you using the printer with, a Windows computer or Mac? 
  2. What is the length of the USB cable you are using?
  3. Have installed the printer drivers on your computer?
  4. Are you using a USB hub? if yes, please disconnect it and try and directly connect it between the printer and computer

Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Hi @Jay_G24,

Thanks for getting back to me. Please find below the answers of all your questions:

• I am using macbook pro laptop with MacOS 11.0.1.
  • I am using the same cable as provided in the box with printer.
  • I have not found the drivers for MacOS for the printer M1136 pro. If I use HP Smart app, then it tries to find the printer but then give me error message - ‘USB is not connected with Printer’.
  • I am not using any USB Hub however since Mac has only type-c port, I am using an original apple type-c to usb converter. One of my friends has the same laptop and same printer and he was able to use the printer without any issues.

I hope my answers will help you to resolve my issue. Thanks in advance for your time and efforts.

Piyush Garg

HP Recommended

Do you have an Anti-virus/firewall installed on the Mac? If yes, disable the same for time being.

Try updating mac and printer firmware

To update the printer's firmware, refer - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

To update Mac, try these steps - How to update the software on your Mac

You may check this in System Information > Applications.

•  Check if the printer is getting recognized by your Mac:

The Utility folder ---> Applications folder.

-->You can also hold down the option key and click on the Apple at the top left of the screen to get to System Information

-->Click System Report.

--->Under the Hardware heading on the left side of the System Information window, click USB. USB 3 devices appear under USB 3.0 Bus, and USB 2 devices appear under USB 2.0 Bus. The printer should be under the USB 2.0 Bus

Also, install HP Easy start, and follow the on-screen to complete the installation. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.