Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart 8150 Photo Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I know this printer is old, but it still worked fine up until yesterday. I was trying to print a Word document and it said printer offline. I tried disconnecting the USB cable and reconnecting it, but then the computer just recgonized it as an Unspecified device. I tried to add the printer back under Devices and Printers in control panel, but it didn't recognize it. I then did some googling and found an HP software and driver site that told you how to connect the printer. Well, that process didn't work. I tried to add the printer manually, but although it acts like it is connected and ready to go, it won't print anything. It's not a printer malfunction because it will print a test page from the printer photo menu. I've tried different USB ports, but that didn't do anything different. If I remove the device from Devices and Printers it is recongized as an unspecified device when I unplug and replug the USB back in. I treid to install the printer on my Spectre laptop, but that USB port is a 3.0 and not compatible.

*Update 5/28/19*

I tried using a different printer USB cable - didn’t work.

I tried installing a different older printer, HP Photosmart All-In-One C4480, because HP had the full software available to download (the original disc isn’t compatible with Win 10). It installed fine, but when I try to print nothing happens. No documents go to the printer queue. But I can copy something and it will print fine!! And the scanning feature works too! 

Neither printer will print from the computer though. 

Any suggestions or solutions would be appreciated.

Thanks

***Update as of 1/9/20***

My solution worked when I first did it, but then I had the same problem again for whatever reason. I couldn’t fix the issue the second time around. It was an old printer I was trying to use the ink up on before getting rid of it. Since I couldn’t fix it again, I just decided to take it to an e-recycling event. I did not replace it as it was for a desktop computer we are also going to get rid of eventually. 

I actually have a HP Tango X printer than I use with my laptop and phone/tablet

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I meant to post this update awhile ago, but just haven’t gotten around to it. I solved my printer issue by doing a System Restore to before the last Windows Update. Once it did it’s thing, I was able to hook up my printer and set it up like normal. Everything printed fine after that.

*Update* - I noticed this thread is still getting quite a bit of activity, so I'm going to type out the steps to how I did a System Restore, which fixed my problem.

First, make sure you have done a File History backup or a complete backup of your computer just to be on the safe side. A System Restore shouldn't mess with your files or documents, but it's always good to have a backup anyway. It can uninstall recent drivers or program installations.

Step 1: Control Panel - System & Security - System

Step 2: Once in the System window, look on the upper left side and choose System Protection

Step 3: In the System Protection tab, click the button that says System Restore. (A window will pop up and tell you what the system restore does) Click Next.

Step 4: Choose the desired event you wish to restore your computer to BEFORE that event - Click Next

(You can click show more restore points to see what options you have. It might give you choices like Windows Update or System Image Restore point. If you backup your computer often or create system images frequently, you will most likely have more options to choose from. For example, if you choose Windows Update, your computer will restore itself to a time BEFORE Windows last updated.)

Step 5: Follow any other instructions and confirm you want to do the System Restore. Let the computer do it's thing. I'm not sure how long it took as I left the room and returned later. I think it might take at least an hour, so do something else and come back.

Step 6: Log back on to your computer

Step 7: Control Panel - Hardware & Sound - Devices & Printers

Step 8: Click Add a Printer

If the System Restore solved your issue, your printer should be discoverable and you should be able to add it normally. Try printing a test page with Word or something to see if your printer is working properly.

***FYI - I have decided that when I was syncing my Mom's iPhone to her computer (which the printer is connected to), the iPhone USB device may have interfered with the older printer USB cable connection. I'm not sure, but that's really the only thing that changed between the printer working fine and then suddenly not printing.***

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
HP Recommended

Hi,

Have you tried using another USB 2.0 cable and check?

Ensure the cable is not longer than 1.8 meters long and directly connected to a USB port at the back of your computer.

Please give it a try and let me know how it goes.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, but I am using the usb cord the printer came with everything was working fine until a couple days ago, so I doubt that is the issue.

HP Recommended

A USB cable can get damaged with the time, therefore not transferring the required power amount as expected.

Please give it a try and check if that makes any difference.

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

I tried using another printer usb cable and nothing changed. I’m wondering if it’s because the HP web  site only had the Windows built in driver process and not the full software. I just don’t get how it could work one second and not the next. 

HP Recommended

I'm seeing exactly the same thing. The printer worked until a few weeks ago then suddenly stopped.

I've tried the printer on two other Windows 10 machines updated to the same version and they both detect the printer and work fine, so I know it's not a generic Windows 10 update problem.

Any help?

HP Recommended

I meant to post this update awhile ago, but just haven’t gotten around to it. I solved my printer issue by doing a System Restore to before the last Windows Update. Once it did it’s thing, I was able to hook up my printer and set it up like normal. Everything printed fine after that.

*Update* - I noticed this thread is still getting quite a bit of activity, so I'm going to type out the steps to how I did a System Restore, which fixed my problem.

First, make sure you have done a File History backup or a complete backup of your computer just to be on the safe side. A System Restore shouldn't mess with your files or documents, but it's always good to have a backup anyway. It can uninstall recent drivers or program installations.

Step 1: Control Panel - System & Security - System

Step 2: Once in the System window, look on the upper left side and choose System Protection

Step 3: In the System Protection tab, click the button that says System Restore. (A window will pop up and tell you what the system restore does) Click Next.

Step 4: Choose the desired event you wish to restore your computer to BEFORE that event - Click Next

(You can click show more restore points to see what options you have. It might give you choices like Windows Update or System Image Restore point. If you backup your computer often or create system images frequently, you will most likely have more options to choose from. For example, if you choose Windows Update, your computer will restore itself to a time BEFORE Windows last updated.)

Step 5: Follow any other instructions and confirm you want to do the System Restore. Let the computer do it's thing. I'm not sure how long it took as I left the room and returned later. I think it might take at least an hour, so do something else and come back.

Step 6: Log back on to your computer

Step 7: Control Panel - Hardware & Sound - Devices & Printers

Step 8: Click Add a Printer

If the System Restore solved your issue, your printer should be discoverable and you should be able to add it normally. Try printing a test page with Word or something to see if your printer is working properly.

***FYI - I have decided that when I was syncing my Mom's iPhone to her computer (which the printer is connected to), the iPhone USB device may have interfered with the older printer USB cable connection. I'm not sure, but that's really the only thing that changed between the printer working fine and then suddenly not printing.***

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. I was told it is the spooler. I don't understand how to unclog the spooler. What HolmPC says makes sense in this case. The problem is not cable or hardware but  is the queue of documents that are piled up. I tried but am ready to junk the unit.  Anyone have any ideas?

HP Recommended

What instructions did you follow to solve this

HP Recommended

@Dr-Dave-77, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

The Windows update is necessary for your PC. However, it may make some software changes due to which the printer may get affected. If this happens, re-installing the HP Drivers may resolve the issue.

Do you get any error while printing?

If you are using a HP Photosmart 8150 Photo Printer, the driver is available via Windows. Installing Windows built-in driver may help.

Refer to this document to know how.

Alternatively, try HP Smart app

To know more and download HP Smart, click here

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.