Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp officejet pro 8720

I haven't used my printer in a while but tried to use it a couple of minutes ago and keep getting the "Use new cartridges for setup" error message that won't let me do anything. I did notice a recent update notice on the printer shortly before this started happening if that matters but I have tried all the troubleshooting steps from cleaning the entire printer out to doing a reset of the printer by unplugging and waiting a few minutes and still not able to get this to work. Any help is greatly appreciated.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Wow, no help huh!?!? That's nice, it's great owning a printer that doesn't work and is a giant paper weight when I need it. Sorry, but not sorry for this comment.

HP Recommended

This is just absolutely rediculous HP, seriously. Tried finding another way of getting help but everything leads to a virtual assistant that is of no help with it's broken down to barney style type of stupidity and everytime time I try to contact support I can never get any further than a webpage telling me my printers warranty is expired. This should have nothing to do with my warranty at all. This problem occurred after an automatic update that is REQUIRED when using HP instant ink. So, basically, HP pushed a required update to my printer making my printer useless and then pretty much tells me ...well, we screwed up your printer and it's your fault for letting your warranty expired so good luck finding any way of getting help... Outstanding business practices HP. Never again will I purchase anything under the HP name. Rant out!!!

HP Recommended

Hi @boomerams,

Please send us a private message with your Instant Ink account details or you may also respond to the private message I've sent out and I'll help you out, accordingly. Check next to your profile name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it. 

Let me know. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Already tried an oobe reset, but will try again................nope, didn't work as I just tried again twice switching it back and forth.

HP Recommended

Could you re-enable Web Services on your printer and add it back to your HP Connected account.

Let's disable webservices and re-enable it

--->Touch on the wifi icon ((i)) on the printer, and take down the IP address
--->Open a web browser (ex Chrome or Mozilla) and type in the printer's IP
---> click on webservices and remove webservices and re-enable it

Let me know!

HP Recommended

printer still not working 

HP Recommended

Let's try a factory reset on the printer.

The instructions are shared in a private message.

Hope this helps!

Let me know!

HP Recommended

Quote from private message...

Let's perform a semi -full reset on the printer, the reset will restore the printer to default settings.

• Press the Power button to turn the Printer On. 
  • Press BL, BL, BL, BL (Bottom left icon. The “return” icon which may not be highlighted. Look very closely to find it and tap on it 4 times) Buttons, in sequence. 
  • Touch Support Menu. 
  • Select Reset Menu and Touch OK. 
  • Select Semi-Full Reset and Touch OK. 
  •  Wait for the unit to Power Down/Turn Off.
  • Press the Power button to turn the Printer ON

...end quote from private message.

Nope, didnt fix problem

HP Recommended

As this is a hardware issue, I’d recommend you contact HP Phone Support in your region regarding service options for your printer.

Follow the instructions below to reach them:

1) Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device. 

4) Select the country from the drop-down. 

5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences. 

6)Fill the web-form and proceed further.

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

Have a great day! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.