Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro MFP M28-M31
Chrome OS

Hi! I previously had this printer connected to WiFi and working well in my old apartment with my old WiFi connection. Now I have moved and am trying to connect it to my new WiFi and it just won't work.

My router does not have a WPS mode. I tried using the HP Smart App from a Chomrebook (ChromeOS), an Android phone (Android 12.0), an iPhone (iOS 15), and a MacBook Pro (macOS Monterrey) and it just won't work. The HP Smart App just can't find it.

And then if I give up and try to factory reset it, even the factory reset instructions require me to connect it to the app or a computer over WiFi. It makes no sense.

Please help urgently. It is the most frustrating process. Basically, I need you to share instruction for factory reset that do not require to connect it to a phone or computer wirelessly. How can I factory reset it using just the buttons on it?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@maggiemaggiemag 

Welcome to HP Support Forum. Please treat this as new router and use the following instructions to fix:

http://www8.hp.com/au/en/campaigns/wireless-printing-center/reconfiguring-system-help3.html

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

It is possible that your printer is still trying to connect to your old, non-existent wireless. The setup pamphlet HP LaserJet Pro MFP M28-M31 Reference Guide - XLWW gives instructions on resetting the wireless, then you should be able to use the app to connect.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

the instructions at the link you provided don't work:

it says on my mac to:

• Open Finder and go to Applications -> HP -> {your printer model} -> Printer Setup & Software.

however, this is a bit vague but i'm presuming that it means "HP Smart" when it says "HP" as there is no application called "HP".

if i open HP Smart, my printer doesn't exist as this is the problem in the first place that my computer nor phone can connect to the computer.

in other words, according to these instructions, it seems that in order to change my wireless setting after having replaced my router, i have to somehow already have the printer connected over the new wifi network. it's a bit circular and doesn't work but please correct me if i'm misunderstanding the instructions.

HP Recommended

thank you for volunteering to try and help mate. but unfortunately, the solution does not work. i actually already tried this as i have the paper in the box. unfortunately, holding down the connection button for 20 seconds also doesn't seem to work. it's just stuck. it still won't get found by hp smart on laptops and/or phones. i also confirmed my router operates at 2.4 GHz and also tried the WPS mode setup and that also didn't work. this is why i think the only solution is to factory reset the printer and start setup from scratch.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.