Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 9015
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I have an HP printer at home.  I am visiting a friend and would like to use his printer.

This is an HP OfficeJet Pro 9015.

I have it established in HP Smart, the printer status says "ready". 

I can't print the reports in HP Smart.

My friend can print from his computer.

When I try to print from Preview on my MacBook Air the printer utility indicates that the printer is offline and it can't find it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@AnnWFoxPoint, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

• Make sure the printer and the MAC are connected to the same wireless network.
  • Either a 2.4GHz network or a 5GHz network.
  • If you have a Dual-band router and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks share the same name/SSID, the printer will not be able to connect to the network. In this case, contact your Internet service provider to assign different names to both the networks.

Perform a ping test to check the connectivity

1. Obtain the IP address of the printer by clicking on the Wireless icon on the printer
  2. On the MAC Go to Spotlight > search for Network utility > select Ping tab > enter the IP address of the printer in the box
  3. Check the second box that says Send only > 10 pings
  4. Click on ping > Check the results at the end if any packets are lost
  5. Note: There should be 0% packet loss, share the results in your next post.

Refer to this document to know how to print - Printing with Apple AirPrint 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@AnnWFoxPoint, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

• Make sure the printer and the MAC are connected to the same wireless network.
  • Either a 2.4GHz network or a 5GHz network.
  • If you have a Dual-band router and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks share the same name/SSID, the printer will not be able to connect to the network. In this case, contact your Internet service provider to assign different names to both the networks.

Perform a ping test to check the connectivity

1. Obtain the IP address of the printer by clicking on the Wireless icon on the printer
  2. On the MAC Go to Spotlight > search for Network utility > select Ping tab > enter the IP address of the printer in the box
  3. Check the second box that says Send only > 10 pings
  4. Click on ping > Check the results at the end if any packets are lost
  5. Note: There should be 0% packet loss, share the results in your next post.

Refer to this document to know how to print - Printing with Apple AirPrint 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes, he has two wi-fi networks and the printer is on the other one. Thanks

HP Recommended

@AnnWFoxPoint

Is the issue resolved?

Are you able to print now?

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes, printing ok now.  Thank you

HP Recommended

@AnnWFoxPoint

Glad to know that the issue is now resolved. Feel free to contact us with any concerns related to HP products.

Happy to help!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.