Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Photosmart C7280
macOS 10.15 Catalina

With the recent certificate problems that disabled a bunch of HP printer drivers, I'm wondering if the driver for my printer (Photosmart C7280) will ever get its driver updated.

I've already tried the procedure listed here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06960563 but the Easy Admin app doesn't include drivers for the Photosmart C7280.

I also tried downloading the HP Smart app for Mac OS, but it can't find my printer on the network, even thought it's powered up and available by accessing it directly by its IP address (HP Smart doesn't let you manually enter an IP address).

Do I need to by a new printer or will this eventually get fixed?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please follow below version of HP Easy Start, as soon as it launches open the top HP Easy Scan menu and select Uninstall HP Software.

Follow the steps on screen and then click on Set Up New Device and follow the steps to reinstall the printer:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Installations/Essentials/ASU/HP_Easy_St...

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply ShlomiL.

I downloaded the HP Easy Start using your link and performed the uninstall as directed. That process was successful.

When I attempted to Set Up New Device, Easy Start finds my printer Photosmart C7200 series [Gutenberg]. I select it and click Continue. The title of the page changes to Install and it responds with the following message:

We were not able to automatically locate any software options for this product. Please go to the HP Website and search for product solutions there. 

Going back to the support page for the Photosmart C7200 series, I'm back to the original problems:

• The support page for the Photosmart C7200 says that it can't find drivers for my OS (I'm running MacOS 11.0.1).
  • I can download the latest patch, which was for MacOS 10.9, but that's what I had installed before, which caused the original "will harm your computer" certificate problem.
  • The option for I don't see my operating system is to use the AirPrint driver from Apple instead, but the Photosmart 7200 series is not AirPrint-capable, so that option is out.
  • The last option is to install the HP Smart App. I've installed that and tried to use it, but it fails to find my printer on the network and doesn't allow me to manually enter the IP address for the printer, which responds when I browse to its IP.

Any other ideas?

HP Recommended

@Ghostqix

Gutenprint (formerly called Gimp-Print) provides open-source basic print drivers for many printers that would otherwise not be supported in Mac OS. To see if your printer is supported, go to Gutenprint drivers for more information.

NOTE: Gutenprint drivers are not supported by HP or Apple.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I checked the Gutenprint (Gimp-print) printers list and the Photosmart C7280 driver is not available (or for any other 72xx variants). 

If an official HP employee is suggesting that my best option to support an HP product (albeit an old one) is open-source software, then it’s probably time for a new printer. 

HP Recommended

@Ghostqix

As of now, there is no driver from HP for your printer for the latest Mac operating system. However, keep an eye on the HP driver page for your printer for the latest updates.

Thanks!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I’m not holding my breath, waiting for the first driver update for this printer since 2014. 

Picking up a new printer today. 

Anybody interested in a used Photosmart C7280?

HP Recommended

@Ghostqix

Yes, I understand that. However, there is nothing much I can do from my end.

I hope you understand!

Thanks!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.