Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
inspiron 5566
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Printer goes to sleep won't wake up. On off button in the back seems to do nothing. Only way to get it woke up is to unplug it and plug it back in.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

New HP ENVY 6055 Printer..... about to give up on it

HP Recommended

4/4/21 6am.. Found a page to "Turn On Wi FI" and set to "Automatic" this morning.. Don't ask me how I'll probably never be able to find it again. Not a user friendly HP SMART program... Anyway... just did a test print request and it "WOKE UP" and printed. If it will stick and work again next time is anybody's guess at this point.. 

HP Recommended

So the HP ENVY 6055 would wake up and print for about 2 weeks after the last attempted 'fix" but now has reverted back to the worthless "SLEEP MODE" that won't wake up unless you unplug it and plug it back in.. Same as before. We have declared the ENVY to be a POS.. Don't buy a HP printer there apparently is no known cure for this at the HP Think Tank... Who could know people would want it to come on and print when you hit the print key.?

HP Recommended

Open and close the cover (Scanner cover) ??? Is that the mystery WAKE UP Envy trick..? Seems like a wake up button would have been better.. but what do I know ?

HP Recommended

@Jake1946, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand the printer does not wake up from sleep mode when you try printing or press any button on the printer. 

Check after how long does the printer enters sleep mode.

Sleep mode automatically puts the printer into a lower-power state after a set period of time of non-use. The printer returns to its normal power state when you send another print or scan job.

A printer in sleep mode might display some of the following characteristics:

• The control panel display is dark

• The power light is slowly pulsing

• The power light is dim

If there are no lights on the printer, Auto-Off, sometimes called Power Save Mode, turns the printer completely off after a set period of time (usually two hours). You must press the power button to turn the printer back on.

Let us try these steps:

Update the printer firmware

Click here to download and install the latest printer firmware from your Computer.

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

• Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to obtain the IP address.
  • Type the IP address at the top of your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  • If you get any security notification, click on show details/advanced and 'proceed to this website'.
  • Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.
  • Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Note: You may watch this video for a better understanding.

Monitor the printer.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Not going through all that mumbo jumbo geek nonsense .. After 2 days opening and closing the scanner lid turned it on again .. so if that continues to work fine, if not I'll junk it... 

HP Recommended

@Jake1946

I understand. If you want assistance through one on one interaction via a remote session, please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region. 

You may create a case on the website to obtain a case number if required. Kindly watch this video to know how.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.