Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Thanks Andy, not straightforward but I've finally managed a downgrade. Very grateful for your reply.

HP Recommended

I can completely understand where you are coming from.  While its a super printer I will not be told where I can buy my toner from.  I thought actually what they are doing is illegal, wasn't there some European law passed about it!

HP Recommended

I also think it's a bit on the razor's edge from a legal point of view, especially since this update completely and suddenly changes the printer's behaviour with 3rd party toners, without any warning for the end user!

But who is going to try to sue a giant?....

HP Recommended

I’m delighted you got sorted. Never again will I buy a HP product after this. I’m sure I wasted many hours getting this sorted. 

HP Recommended

Same issue and am using non-OEM cartridges.  Have NOT had a single issue with the cartridges.  Sounds like this is a very good case for a class action lawsuit. I will call a legal counsel today to see if this is something worth pursing.  There was no warning and for HP to implement this without warning seems to be a bit fraudulent!

HP Recommended

Now isn't that interesting!  Seems that the previous firmware is no longer available.  Calling legal counsel today to see if a class action lawsuit is worth pursuing.

HP Recommended

Don’t worry, I kept copies of the firmware. 

HP Recommended

Amazing!  As mentioned earlier, HP has REMOVED the previous firmware update from the UK link in the original thread.  I was able to find it here: https://www.hp-file.net/hp-laserjet-pro-m281fdw-driver/  . Looks like HP will have to deal with unhappy customers... bet there will be a class action lawsuit on the horizon!

HP Recommended

Trie to download and downgrade the firmware - but it fails. So, now I have a completely useless printer. HP will never ever regain confidence after this. Everyone should stay away from their crappy products for ever. They need to suffer from this action!

HP Recommended

Tried using firmware from here - now it works again...

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1uq5XukEbXyDaQUg6mDdjLMTVRUmjXKom

Whenever I buy a new printer - never will even look at HP again. Terrible way to treat customers. And possibly even breaking EU-laws. Hope someone knows how to report this to see if this type of action is legal - I doubt it. I believe there are lots of companies selling aftermarket toners that should make a lawsuit! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.