Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

HI so I have my m254dw printer connected via USB.  I downloaded the link for MAC and when it goes to do the firmware downgrade it is telling me that the device is in error and can not be refreshed.  How do I get around this?  I have three kids now doing online and need my printer 

HP Recommended

Did you try removing the non-HP toner cartridge(s). My printer wouldn't update until I removed those cartridges. Actually, I reinstalled the old HP cartridges, but others posted that they just left the slots empty. Worth a try.

HP Recommended

Make sure you download the correct DMG.  I initially got an error on the install, and then realized that I had downloaded the m254dn instead of the m254dw.

HP Recommended

Amen Alleluia!  I FINALLY got it to work!!!!  Thanks so much for your help!

Here is what I did for the MAC

I connected via USB

I changed the settings in printer to downgrade - yes

allow updates - yes - I changed this back to NO after the download!

I removed all cartridges and presto!  It worked!!!

I spent all day on this and the customer service at HP sucks!  I even called a local HP repair place and they gave me a number which was completely different from the regular CS # and it too had the same recording!  Thanks so much for all the help!  Now I need to reconnect to the WIFI!

It did say I needed to do an Airdrop upgrade - I am not sure what this is and if I should do it.  im guessing no

HP Recommended

thanks to all the help on this forum!!  I am not that tech savvy at all!

HP Recommended

I completely agree - sounds like a class action suit to me

HP Recommended

Laser Pro M254dw

HP Recommended

Thanks to Andy_p2 and Ghost White Toner  I've now been able to solve this problem for my printer too. The silly thing about this is that HP's own support site says the printer will work fine with compatibles but as with others on here if I'm expected to pay for HP toners I simply can't afford to run the printer. Close to £500 for a set of cartridges here in the UK as at December 2020 is just stupid. They'd sell so many more cartridges if they were a sensible price. 

Oh and as a suggestion, once you're back up and running go into the service menu on your printer's control screen and set all auto upgrade settings to 'NO'. 

Good luck to everyone else looking to fix this problem.

HP Recommended

How did you find the compatible toners?

HP Recommended

Thanks.  I will give it a try.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.