cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
jazzuk777
6 6 0 0
Message 61 of 68
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks, the Ghost site only has the exe installer not the RFU file though, that was the first thing that I tried. I'm thinknig I might have to get hold of a partially used HP cartridge maybe to get it to work.   😞 

thanks anyway

0 Kudos
stonechatuk
1 1 0 1
Message 62 of 68
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I did eventually managed to downgrade my firmware. HOwever it still won't take my unused third party cartridges

I am not happy

Klatas
1 1 0 1
Message 63 of 68
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The same happened in Greece on 14th January 2021. Thanks, ThierryB68. Just to add that the downgrade worked through Wi-Fi. Please note that after the upgrade the problem continues for a couple of minutes and then the new firmware takes control and everything is back to normal. I think the behavior of HP is unfair, if not illegal. 

jazzuk777
6 6 0 0
Message 64 of 68
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If anyone comes to this page for the m254nw printer, the dw firmware didn't work for me.

I found someone on Reddit who shared the nw firmware though, won't paste a link since it will be deleted anyway. 

0 Kudos
mackykyle
1 1 0 0
Message 65 of 68
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Adrian, THANK YOU for sharing the files!  Very much appreciated!  The files have been scrubbed everywhere else...

0 Kudos
Fedup75
1 1 0 0
Message 66 of 68
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Help please havee been at this for 6 hours have followed every part of information but the RFU of the old version before update in Oct 2020 will not open on the computer we havee clicked everything on and off as it shows and still the new version is on the printer 

0 Kudos
jazzuk777
6 6 0 0
Message 67 of 68
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Several things - one make sure you have gone into the service menu and set it to allow downgrades as per the previous instructions.

2, do you have the DW model? I found this page and others looking for help with the nw model. The info on these pages is mostly the dw and the files referenced here to use do not work on the nw model. I found help on R e d d i t t with someone who had the nw files and the exe file worked straightaway over USB for me when I used them plus the settings discussed on here. Won't put a link here as it'll get removed but should be easy to find if youlook on that site 🙂

0 Kudos
njh111
1 1 0 0
Message 68 of 68
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi. My advice is a combination of various things on here, but this is what has just (finally) worked for me:

1. Perform the various printer setting changes mentioned elsewhere (Block auto upgrades / allow downgrades etc).

2. Remove the toner cartridges so the printer is empty of ink

3. Connect the printer to your PC using a USB cable (Wi-Fi no good).

4. Perform a full factory reset of the printer

5. Remove and then re-install the printer on your PC's control panel

6. Run the firmware downgrade [content removed]

A very frustrating few days (especially in the middle of lockdown) but this has worked. This is outrageous behaviour by HP. 

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation