Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4502
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently downloaded a new printer driver from the HP website, and now I can't print on 8 1/2 x 14 paper (that is no longer a listed option) and I can't print both sides of the paper.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello Robsal,

I understand that you want to print 8 1/2 x 14 and double-sided printing.  I suspect that the "new driver" is the Windows 10 in-OS driver.  To gain the 8 1/2 x 14 and double-sided printing, I recommend installing HP Basic Print Driver.  The Basic Driver can be downloaded from the HP Support site, below is a link to the HP ENVY 4500 e-All-in-One Printer series Full Feature Software and Drivers on the HP Support site. 

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-4500-e-all-in-one-printer-series/5304875/mo...

After installing the HP Printer software, 8 1/2 x 14 and double-sided printing should be available from the print driver menu.

Regards,

Steve

Please click “Kudos Thumbs up” as an encouragement and “Accept as solution” if this helped to solve the Question or Problem. Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@ROBSAL

Please install the Printer Firmware from the following weblink:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/en4500/EN4500_R1547A.exe

Uninstall the existing driver and please download and install the last updated driver and software from the following weblink:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL47762/mp-115701-6/EN4500_198.exe

Just to double-confirm, this link has the list of paper sizes supported by this printer:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-4500-e-all-in-one-printer-series/5304875/model/5368521/...

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
HP Recommended

Hello Robsal,

I understand that you want to print 8 1/2 x 14 and double-sided printing.  I suspect that the "new driver" is the Windows 10 in-OS driver.  To gain the 8 1/2 x 14 and double-sided printing, I recommend installing HP Basic Print Driver.  The Basic Driver can be downloaded from the HP Support site, below is a link to the HP ENVY 4500 e-All-in-One Printer series Full Feature Software and Drivers on the HP Support site. 

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-4500-e-all-in-one-printer-series/5304875/mo...

After installing the HP Printer software, 8 1/2 x 14 and double-sided printing should be available from the print driver menu.

Regards,

Steve

Please click “Kudos Thumbs up” as an encouragement and “Accept as solution” if this helped to solve the Question or Problem. Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
HP Recommended

Thanks, I downloaded that driver. I've been told that I have to uninstall my present driver before installing the new one.  Is that true.  How do I make sure I'm doing it right?

HP Recommended

Thanks, I downloaded the new driver. I was told that I need to uninstall my  present driver before installing the new one.  Is that true. Also, how do I do that correctly?

HP Recommended

Hello Robsal,

If the HP Printer Software hasn't yet been installed the HP Software can be installed without having to uninstall anything...I recomend simply running to download software to install it. 

However, If the HP Software is already installed, instead of installing, it will show an "Add a Device" screen (i.e. the software sees that it is already installed).  if you are shown the "Add a Device" screen, then it will be necessary to uninstall the software and then re-installing.  Note: it doesn't hurt anything attempting to install the software prior to uninstall, it just shows the "add a device screen" instead of installing the software.  Listed below are the basic steps to uninstall the software is your are shown the "add a device" screen.

1. In the Windows Search menu (lower left next to start menu), enter "Control Panel" and press enter

2. Click on "Uninstall a program" (if you don't see they type "Uninstall" is the search window "top right" and then select "Uninstall a Program"

3. Look for "HP Envy 4500 Series Basic Device Software", right click on it an select Uninstall.

4. After the uninstall completes, restart Windows and then install the HP Printer Software that you download.

I hope this helps!

Best Regards,

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.