Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 6510
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Hello,

as already pointed out in multiple posts on this forum, it seems that the HP scanners have a deeply built-in jpeg compression, the resulting scans look (if zoomed-in) terrible — comparable to, i would say, a jpeg with 10-20% quality setting if saved from Photoshop, which is very-very low. It produces a lot of artefacts around the image details.  Changing any available scanning parameters (quality, format, resolution) doesn't bring anything. I've tried multiple apps (HP smart from an iPhone/Mac, Photoshop, VueScan), the image you get always has this compressed jpeg artefacts. Which makes the scanner essentially unusable for any decent image scanning or photo scanning, it will ruin the image. It would only be sufficient for some bills or paperwork, where the quality doesn't matter. 

All the answers offered by the HP support on this forum (as has been also pointed out by the users) don't make much sense. The problem is quite obvious, while the support suggest resetting a printer or some steps, which would be effectively just a waste of time. 

So the question is — how to switch this built-in compression off, could we expect an honest reply, that the problem is there and any firmware update soon, that would allow switching it off and making proper raw high-quality scans, which the scanner's hardware allows to do. At the moment any of the settings (300 dpi resolution, saving to TIF etc) don't make sense, as in the end you still get a quality of that 1,6mb per an A4 sized jpeg, again, very-very low quality. 

We understand that having a compressed express option is handy for many cases and many users, but not being able to change those settings is a catastrophe.

I like the printer a lot, but this issue is very annoying, because it makes its scanner only a very low-quality 20% scanner. Although i was buying a multifunctional device partly because of a scanner, and it turned out that i would need to buy a scanner separately or buy a device from another manufacturer.

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@dx2000, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Have you tried scanning from HP easy Scan or Apple Image capture app and check the result?

Update the printer firmware

Click here to download and install the latest printer firmware from your MAC.

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Also, check for any software updates on MAC

Click the Apple icon > About This Mac > Software Update and install any available update.

Refer to this document to know how to scan using the app I mentioned above - How to Scan

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, 

thanks for the reply but sorry — this is exactly the kind of reply that i've meant earlier — a generic one, which doesn't admit the problem. There are other threads on this forum where users complain about this problem, get this kind of a reply, and have already written, that yes — they've tried all that and that has nothing to do with the measures proposed above.

Yes, I've used  HP easy Scan (i think i even wrote it in my initial post), as well as Photoshop etc.  Everything including firmware is up-to-date. Both phone app and on my Mac. Please recheck the original post/questions/details. And/or — try to scan with a similar model yourself and post the hi-res close-up pictures that you've got, so that me (and other users) can see, that scanning with this scanner without the heavy jpeg compression artefacts is possible. So far it looks that it isn't, and even scanning with an iPhone's camera does a better job in this regard.

We understand (as some of your colleagues have already written in other similar threads) , that reducing the quality (the fact that HP applies a heavy compression by default) speeds up the process a lot and is totally fine for scanning some paper docs. However — it's a catastrophe if you want to scan your photos or other graphics where you need to preserve the highest quality possible. And it's not a scanner issue, it's definitely the built-in processing forced by HP, no matter what other software you use to initiate the scan. No matter if you select 300dpi, TIF raw format or anything — the quality is heavily compressed, and one may see it. There are many many posts about that in your forum, and no solution. Just the generic replies.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

@dx2000

I understand your concern and I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/First-Time-Here-Learn-How-to-Post-and-More/How-To-Send-A-Private-Messa...

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.