Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
officeject pro 6960
Microsoft Windows XP

1910A firmware update has stopped me from using a third party ink cartridge - please advise on how to get around this problem

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Adamm65

Welcome to HP support community.

What happens when you insert the cartridge?

Are you getting any error message?

Reply with the requested information for more assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The error message I now receive after installing a brand new compatible set of colour inks is ” Remove and Reinstall the indicated cartridges, making sure it is installed correctly”.

I have searched the internet for advice and found that this is to do with the firmware upgrade not allowing anything other than Genuine new HP ink cartridges. When it happened with my black ink cartridge recently, I thought it was the cartridge, bought a brand new HP Black Ink Cartridge and surprise surprise the error message disappeared. Now it has doing the same thing with the colour ink cartridges. I am not prepared to keep throwing perfectly good ink cartridges away because HP have blocked my using third party ink cartridges - surely this is unethical and illegal as I was not made aware that ONLY genuine HP Ink Cartridges will work in my printer when I purchased it.

HP Recommended

This situation will need some additional support from our internal teams in HP. For that to happen, we will give you additional instructions/information via Private Message.

Please do check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.