Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Having to turn off the firewall really isn't a great solution... since, you know... then you have no firewall.

HP Recommended

My trusty old HP B110a stopped printing wirelessly after the OSX update, scan still worked. 

I went to System Prefrences/Printers and Scanners and checked the box  Share this printer on the network.

Everything is working as it should now.

🙂 Merry Christmas.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the tip on sharing printer selection and turning off firewall but neither helped.   I have looked up support forums on Epson, Brother, Samsung and all have similar problems with no solutions for Mac Os 10.13.2 upgrades all recommend waiting for Apple to release a fix.  No joy on printing Xmas cards for 2017.

HP Recommended

I run osX 10.13.2.

Good to know that it is not only an HP issue!

So the "status quo" (at least for me) is:

- It works to scan from the computer with HP Scan

- It works to scan to folder from the printer with 75 dpi

It's of no use to switch off the firewall (I had it off!).

It doesn't make any difference with ethernet or wifi (I tried!)

it doesn't make any difference to turn off and then on ipv6 (I tried!)

I can also add the following:

- I tryied a script (from a different forum) that it says: "if you have problem with shared folders after securty update osX 10.13.1 try to type in terminal:  sudo /usr/libexec/configureLocalKDC". Well, I did it and now it doesn't scan at 75dpi anymore! So DON'T DO IT!

- I do use two HP printers: HP Color LaserJet MFP M277dw and HP LaserJet Pro MFP M521dw. On the second one it works to scan to folder at 150dpi. I don't know why! Maybe the IT of HP can pinpoint the reason.

Best,

R.

HP Recommended
You summed up everything I have tried also. I talked with Geek Squad at Best Buy and they have same problems with MAC OS High Sierra 10.13.2 not recognizing printer after installing ALL the latesed software.
HP Recommended

Drivers are used to connect from the computer to the printer. 

If you share a folder is the other way around! You don't need drivers to make it work. The folder should be accessible from the network to whoever wants to connect to it (to transfer a file or copy a scanned image). This include a printer that scanned and I am sure still scan perfectly. The process of scanning is basically coping an immage trought the network to a shared folder. It doesn't have anything to do with  drivers.

All the best,

R

HP Recommended

Hello All,

Different problems are being encountered, especially on different devices (Mac, etc.).  Some may relate to the HP printer's software updates not Apple.

Problem 1.  Numerous comments in the thread, may indicate a simple(?) connection problem.

-  In my 9-27-17 response to Tom, I discussed "the computer is not wirelessly connected to the printer."  Several responses indicate this problem, such as:  "no connection to printer," or "printer is not responding,"etc.

A Reboot of the Components (might) correct that.   NOTE, this is not "Printer is Offline" problems (if the wireless light is solid blue, indicating the printer is connected to wi-fi).

So, turn off the router/modem (unplug if needed), printer and computer.  Leave router off 60 seconds, then turn each on successively in that order (r, p, computer).  Let each completely turn on (no flashing lights, printer noises as it warms up) before the next one.  Try a test print, etc.  Results?  This may need doing on all devices, separately.

The next link (Step 1) details that, but it is not complete.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04249334 HP Printers - Printer is Offline (Mac)

On 12-22, Raimondod mentioned "Drivers are used to connect from the computer to the printer," which is correct in the sense that the HP Printer's Software, when updated to the latest version, enables the computer and printer to wirelessly connect.

What does HP Wireless Direct provide for printing?

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ads/mobility/wireless-direct-printing.html#apple

Problem 2.  The printer's software for the specific device has not been updated by HP. 

- For one thing, numerous models of devices (Mac, etc.) are going to have the PRINTER'S SOFTWARE UPDATE done by HP at different times and for different devices.  So, some users succeed, others don't.  Nothing will work until that occurs. 

- For another thing.  HP may never update iOS 10.13.1 nor iOS 11 version of printer software for older devices.  That way you need to buy new. DUH!

- So keep checking for HP updates.  (Google for "HP Support (XXXX) software;" ( enter your device model for XXXX).  When you open it up it will state the release date of the Full Feature Software.  It may be that Apple actually  supplies that.

Responses such as this, suggest that occurance on the device that fails:

"which works as it still has 10.12 "plain" Sierra"  

"The iMac I didn't upgrade yet, that still has "regular" Sierra on it, still works.  Oddly, I have an old OfficeJet 8600 MFP that actually can scan from the printer to the computers with High Sierra on them.  I thought the "permissions/read only" error was because of Apple's new AFS files system in High Sierra was the culprit, but can't figure why older OfficeJet works."   (because the older version was updated by HP)

"my old OfficeJet 8600 can write to the folder but the newer MFP M477fdw cannot"

"installed the 10.13.1 beta...which seems to have fixed the problem."   In other cases, it did not fix it, because one user's device model has been updated by HP, the the other model has not.

Printez suggest this solution with link on 11-28 in which Step 1 is: "Check for and install updated printer firmware." https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05737475 entitled HP Printers - AirPrint Print Job Does Not Print (iOS 11, Sierra, High Sierra)

Finally No. 3: scan to email works through the cloud.

"scan to email works great"

I am not a tech expert and do not use any Mac products.  I am not an HP employee, just searching for answers for queries on the forum. 

HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem on my MFP M426fdw after upgrading to OS 10.13.5 on my c2012 iMac. The problem is that scanning changes the permissions of the destination folder in an unpredictable manner. I worked this out with HP support, but they could only partially solve the problem, even after updating HP firmware.

IN more detail:

I have a wireless network set up. It was working fine until the upgrade.

If I change the destination folder permission to read & Write using the cmd + i command, the permissions listed change, but nothing works. However, if I change the folder permission through system preferences/sharing, the permission listed change but the system then does work - for a couple of scans (and yes, I have tried locking the permissions which can only be done through preferences/sharing. However, after scanning in one or two single page scans, the scanning no longer works and I get the  "Cannot write to..." error message. When I go back to the computer and check the permission, they have been altered to read only. If I change them back to read & write (via preferences/sharing) I can get a couple more scans in. Also, If i freshly change the permissions and try a multi-page scan (say ~5 pages) the scan fails with the same message.

This is too soon to obsolesce a 1 1/2 year old printer.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your advice to go to 123.HP.COM and follow instructions

I resolved the 'encryption credentials have expired' error message on my HP ENVY 4527 in 10 mins

Very grateful.

I had spent hours trying to sort this out previously.

HP Recommended

I have a HP Envy 4520 that will not print since I upgrader to Mac OS High Sierra 13.10,6 in February. It prints all the test pages but not any docments. I have went to yhe link sugested but when I select 10.13 it tells me to change.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.