I am seeing some posts with people saying that their printer is installed but when they try and print the print is spooled to the print spooler and then just disappears, or they are saying that they can print a test page from the HP software but nothing prints.
Most of these people seem to have migrated from another version of Windows to Windows 7, and they have various printers and configurations.
We have found through testing that this fix works.
How to fix it
- Disconnect the printer if it is connected using a usb cable.
- Click on the icon and select All Programs.
- Select the HP folder, then select the printer and select Uninstall
- Once the uninstall is complete select Devices and Printers
- Click on another printer or the Microsoft XPS Document Writer
- Click on Printer server properties in the top menu
- Choose Drivers in the Installed printer drivers select the printer that was uninstalled in step 3.
- Click on Remove and when asked choose Remove driver and driver package and click on ok.
- Install the Windows 7 software for the printer.
I would like to say a big thank you to all those people who have posted to this thread with details of their installations etc. This information has help me formulate this fix.
I work for HP
Solved! Go to Solution.
I have an OfficeJet Pro L7680. When I print from my Toishiba laptop (via a wireless connection), I can see the print go to the print server's queue and then nothing gets printed. Printing directly from the print server works. The printer is connected to the print server by USB.
The print server was XP with all service packs. I was going to replace it eventually, so I have just set up a replacement machine running Windows 7 (32-bit) with all patches and still have the same problem. My laptop came with Vista RTM and had all service packs and patches applied. It is now running Win 7 RTM (32-bit). I can't remember if I upgraded it or not. My colleague has a Toshiba laptop which was running XP. I definitely upgraded it to Vista SP1 and then Win7 (32-bit) (Vista was simply a staging post on the way). He has exactly the same printing problem.
I also have a Win7 (32-bit) VM running on Server 2008 R2 and Hyper-V - definitely a clean install. If I Remote Desktop from my laptop to the Win7 VM, it has the redirected printer installed (as part of the RD session) and this works!!!!!
The instructions in your Workaround don't make any difference. There were 2 entries and I used the one without BT. The drivers are those included in Win 7 or then from Windows Update. The print server also has a LaserJet5 installed and this works.
On my laptop: OfficeJetPro L7600 Series (61.63.263.21)
On Win7 VM that works via my laptop: OfficeJet Pro L7600 Series (0.3.7071.0)
On Win7 Print Server: OfficeJet Pro L7600 Series (0.3.7071.0)
I appear to have a solution!
In Devices & Printers, highlight the printer and then click on Print server properties at the top.
Go back to the original window and remove the printer (or else the next step won't work). Then in the Print server properties window, remove the driver only.
Back in Devices and Printers, re-add the printer. Now in the printer's properties / about, it reports the same version as the ones that work.
I am having the same issue,I click on a picture I want to print, pick size and hit print. Box came up and stated sending to the printer but when you check printer status it has zero printing jobs scheduled.But I can print from Outlook, or Microsoft word.
Clean install of Windows 7 x32 bit
Hp All in One 2610 PrinterInstalled from HP web site Driver and software 12/1/2009
Printer was working but new updates have been pushed by Microsoft, and now not printing. Printer did work fine on Windows XP Professional
Do you know which updates were installed? You can find the update list by going to Start>Control Panel>Programs, under Programs and Features select View Installed Updates.
I have not checked as of today since I was trying to print a picture at 3:30 am this morning. I do know there were pacthes to be install over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. I work at Intel PC services and we see it all teh time where a patch gets pushed out and it effects either printing or VPN,
The printer is hooked up by USB. When I installed a clean instal of WIN 7 it had a driver for the printer and it was working fine, now the only thing that has changed was patches. I tried installing the drive from HP web site but no luck.
I was hoping there was a quick fix out there that others are having. I work on PC all day long and not much for going home and working on one agian.
- Which version did you start with ? eg Vista SP2 32 Bit Vista 64bit
- Which version of Windows 7 did you end up installing ? eg Win7 64 Bit Win 7 64 bit
- What hp printer was installed in old version of windows? eg C7280 C7280
- Where did the installed software for the printer come from eg CD or Web Download HP Support site
- How is the printer connected to your PC ? eg US, Wired Network or Wireless USB
- Any other printers installed on your PC? There haven’t been, but now I have to use a generic driver from the Deskjet 6500 series
- Lastly the version of the printer driver that is currently installed that will not enable you to print?